What is this leak?

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I think its just the condensed water dripping from the AC. But...

When I went out to my Jeep after about an hour I noticed a drip stream with an oily sheen.

Drove it to class and just checked it and took some pics - first was about an hour prior to the others.

I think its just dripping water but the oily sheen from before has me concerned.
ce457f3f492f922ad1e4b01179670f43.jpg
ee2b6e18b10d978f96f645375c6195ec.jpg
edc3dd7e2b466008e802886919e58a9c.jpg
77cb6c2535968f4256912d1114bf72df.jpg
7dc3dd7b596b6eabf4c9bc77d03e1f8c.jpg
6f29413846818974764464dcf117ab4d.jpg
81abf577b1274820b4df475abe01fe86.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would clean everything that seems to have grease or dirty get it clean maybe use some degreaser or some sort. Then you could better determine if it’s water or oil.

I would clean everything that seems to have grease or dirty get it clean maybe use some degreaser or some sort. Then you could better determine if it’s water or oil.
If his finger smells bad, turns a funny color or tastes yucky then he can go through the trouble of cleaning the engine to find the leak. It's probably water and there is no need to make things complicated. :)

Reactions: fuse
Keep a close eye on your oil level and see if there's any loss.

Mine has been "marking it's territory" in the driveway. I've just been keeping an eye on the fluid levels.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
I can guarantee you it's water - because while I was in class, it started to rain and washed the pavement. lol

I didn't smell any oil when I took the pics and the dripping I saw was consistent with a water drip, not the viscous drip of a drop of oil.

I've been watching my dash and other than the oil running a little right of middle, I don't have any low warning lights or anything.

Reactions: Willys LJ
Antifreeze can have a sheen to it as well.
Thats why you shoulda stuck your finger in the "sheen liquid", as it were, in order to identify the said "sheen liquid" quickly!
Even nooB jeepers like me can tell the difference between antifreeze and oil or some sort of greasy liquid.
So get down there and taste said "sheen liquid" and you will find out quickly!
If its from your Jeep it prolly won't kill ya. ;-)

Good news - I'm 99% sure it's just water. The puddle was smaller today and when I touched it and tested it, it felt just like water and was clear. No discernible odor.

Good news - I'm 99% sure it's just water. The puddle was smaller today and when I touched it and tested it, it felt just like water and was clear. No discernible odor.
It might be deuterium oxide.