What is this relay for?

Dman

Supporting Member
What’s this relay for directly under the glove box? It has 5 prongs and they look burnt. Is it any good ?

I also changed my front signal lights to LED. They turn on but do not blink or flash. I’ve changed my signal light/flasher relay for LED lights already so I’m wondering is this relay is the culprit why no blinking or flashing.

Thank you

C14A0968-20ED-402D-9FC5-802FEDA8AED3.jpeg

68C06881-E16E-48BE-A7E3-A30981A66161.jpeg

Someone added something that needed power. You need to follow the wires from pin 30 and pin 87 and see where they go. One will go to a power source (normally 30) and the other will go to whatever they are powering.

I don't think the two things are related, but I do know that there's thread after thread of problems installing LED turn signals because of the way they are wired. Try switching the lights back to see if they still work. If they do, remove that relay and see if it has an affect ... I would assume not.

@Jamison C runs the forum TJ electrical department and is assigned to these threads, when he's not selling really nice green Sahara's out from under himself.

The @ symbol will notify him and you have to go through him for everything except changing basic fuses with fuses of the same amperage.

He typically will do a few posts free, then after that it drafts your bank account. He's shopping for a Rubicon, so expect a rate increase.

Last edited:
I had to try a couple different brands of LED bulbs to finally get front, rear, and front side lights to work. Still have issues with the front side lights, only flash IF the lights already on.

Reactions: Dman
View attachment 223718
What’s this relay for directly under the glove box? It has 5 prongs and they look burnt. Is it any good ?

I also changed my front signal lights to LED. They turn on but do not blink or flash. I’ve changed my signal light/flasher relay for LED lights already so I’m wondering is this relay is the culprit why no blinking or flashing.

Thank youView attachment 223718View attachment 223719

did you install led lights or change the bulb to an led bulb?

how are they wired in? are they 2 wire lights? or do they clip into the stock pigtail?
4 wired lights from the LED Taillights
Someone added something that needed power. You need to follow the wires from pin 30 and pin 87 and see where they go. One will go to a power source (normally 30) and the other will go to whatever they are powering.
Well I know what that relay is for, it’s for the AC/Heater. I couldn’t follow the wires so I removed it and checked everything that could be operated electrically.
And lo and behold the AC & heater wouldn’t work. I replaced that relay back on then the AC/ Heater came back on.

is that where the relay goes if not where does it normally go?

4 wired lights from the LED Taillights

Well I know what that relay is for, it’s for the AC/Heater. I couldn’t follow the wires so I removed it and checked everything that could be operated electrically.
And lo and behold the AC & heater wouldn’t work. I replaced that relay back on then the AC/ Heater came back on.

is that where the relay goes if not where does it normally go?
i’m not following.. you wired in taillights for the front blinkers?

can’t help you there sorry..

i’m not following.. you wired in taillights for the front blinkers?

can’t help you there sorry..
I didn’t do it, I bought the Jeep like that. I posted a thread asking what this relay is for that’s under the glove box.
Someone here told me that the previous owner did that for something.
I was able to figure out what that odd relay was for and it’s for the AC/Heater to work.

i’m trying to help here but you have 3 different threads all talking about the same issue so the wires are both figuratively and actually crossed.

i can’t help you with the relay.. trying to help you with the lights but the signals aren’t going through.

i’ll respond on your other thread.

As for the relay terminal in the picture....
Was the female wiring connector in the relay harness loose ?
Loose connectors will cause heat build up OR if the load is drawing too many amps.
Do the harness wires show signs of overheating ?
I would check the condition of the fan motor speed resistor block elements and if the fan motor spins freely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dman