What is this stuff?

Nicholas

TJ Enthusiast
Since I got the Jeep last year there’s always been this one weird white paint chip I think it’s salt, just was wondering what you guys would do to fix/ (cover it) plasti-dip the hinge? New hinge? Also have this little corner dent in this second picture was considering just taking a thick cloth and crow bar gently to it to see it it’ll bend back, lol.
6fa8ab08730efca2a9ee588e3adcfc29.jpg
231fb2e266a2b5b3192eae0d0dab1b15.jpg
This is minor stuff sorry if I’m blowing your feed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is corrosion. Best way to treat that would be to hit it with some sand paper and get it down to bare metal. Do a really good job getting all the junk off. Then just rattle can it. It will not cause any problems in that area but better to fix it then leave it.

I have the same problem on mine, it is just less severe. If your hinges are making noise or the gate isn't opening correctly, there is a way to fix that. It is super simple and takes no time at all (just involves some drilling and PB blaster). My hinges were pretty locked up but now they turn in a strong breeze.

That is corrosion. Best way to treat that would be to hit it with some sand paper and get it down to bare metal. Do a really good job getting all the junk off. Then just rattle can it. I have the same problem on mine, it is just less severe. If your hinges making noise or the gate isn't opening correctly, there is a way to fix that. It is super simple and takes no time at all (just involves some drilling and PB blaster). My hinges were pretty locked up but now they turn like a breeze.

True true true spray cans aren’t a bad idea since it’s only the hinge, and would you bolt them off first ? Btw mine isn’t squealing but one day it could lol

True true true spray cans aren’t a bad idea since it’s only the hinge, and would you bolt them off first ? Btw mine isn’t squealing but one day it could lol

With that amount of corrosion, it'd probably be hard to get the hinges completely separated. And if I remember correctly, it isn't as simple as just a few bolts. I would leave the hinge on and just do the best you can. Really get in there with the sand paper. It doesn't have to be perfect. This is more of a cosmetic repair than anything else. Google cheapo hinge repair to find the thread on wrangler forum about fixing squealing hinges.

Reactions: Nicholas
If you have a larger than stock spare tire and are concerned about the hinges and tailgate, the Exogate/Morryde comes with hinges that replace the stock hinges.

Not a cheap fix, but more of a do it right the first time kind of fix if you have the funds.

Reactions: B252 and Nicholas