What is this?

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Over driver seat and hooked into speaker pods. Is it an antenna for pay radio stations?
15638981680998599303930219071122.jpg

Odd that its plugged into just the speakers... You sure about that?

It looks identical to the gps/satellite radio antenna used in the factory Jeep navigation/satellite radio.

@Goatman that is likely part of the OEM satellite navigation kit....GPS antenna and antenna bracket.

1.jpg2.jpg

When you install your new head unit, you'll probably have an extra set of wires connected to the factory radio for the the satellite receiver, which is a box below the dash on the driver's side. This is also where the GPS antenna connects.

3.jpg

You could remove all the satellite related stuff during the new stereo install, but I'd probably just leave it in place and neatly bundle/tie the wires out of the way.

So how does a gps work whith that cheap stock radio? Is there some other display pod that isn't on the Jeep anymore? How would you be able to enter a gps coordinate let alone track your progress? These vehicles never stop amazing me.

I don't think I ever had GPS available on the stock radio. I just figured that satellite radio is too much like paying for cable TV. Who the heck would do something like that? (35 years ago):p

I do get around pretty good though by using google maps on my phone.

So how does a gps work whith that cheap stock radio? Is there some other display pod that isn't on the Jeep anymore? How would you be able to enter a gps coordinate let alone track your progress? These vehicles never stop amazing me.

Previous owner pulled their aftermarket radio that had nav/sat radio before selling it to you. Replaced it with the stock radio.

Or the previous owner pulled the factory Mopar navigation/sat radio and put in the stock TJ/LJ radio back in it before selling it to you.

The factory gps antenna for the RB1 and RB4 decks mount in the dash directly above the radio. The sat radio antenna mounts in the driver windshield support under a padded cover. They are different antennas and are supposed to be in different places.

The factory gps antenna for the RB1 and RB4 decks mount in the dash directly above the radio. The sat radio antenna mounts in the driver windshield support under a padded cover. They are different antennas and are supposed to be in different places.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Thank you gentlemen. I shall put it with the other items I have pulled to upgrade them. Never know if the next owner will want everything stock again.