What is this?

LadyD

Let me start off by saying, please excuse my ignorance lol. But can someone please tell me what these parts are called that I have magnified in the following posted pictures. Thank you.

23ED4AEF-310A-4230-97C7-61AB8F155FEB.jpeg

4B7421A3-F958-44A3-BCFE-D4FFB5A1A7EC.jpeg

for your second picture, referring to the round part: that would be your brake booster.
the first image i would imagine is your evap canister, but i don't have a 97 so my canister looks a little different, but is in the same place.

Reactions: reddvltj
for your second picture, referring to the round part: that would be your brake booster.
the first image i would imagine is your evap canister, but i don't have a 97 so my canister looks a little different, but is in the same place.
Thank you !!!!!

Huh, the first picture had me baffled. I've only had a 2002 and 2004 and the evap canister is under the battery on both of those. Interesting.

Thank you all for the feed back, and thank you for whomever moved my thread to the correct forum. Figured I posted in the wrong forum after all was said and done.

What? is this specific to 97's? I've never heard of this before.
The charcoal canister is round like in the first picture for the 97. In 98 they switched over to a roughly rectangular version that continued in the same shape until 2006. It stayed on the fender in front of the brake booster and master until 02 and in 03 they moved it to the front side of the right tail light.

The vacuum reservoir under the battery tray stayed in that location throughout the TJ production run.

Another thing I picked up in the first pic is the sticker for K & N air filter. If that is in there, replace with a stock paper fram or similar, the K @ N is not helping nor doing your 4.0 any favors. It is just letting in more dirt/dust into the engine, the 4.0 does not additional air to run at it's peak.

Just another one with a 97 confirming that it is, in fact, the evap charcoal canister
IMG_1718.jpg

Last edited:
The charcoal canister is round like in the first picture for the 97. In 98 they switched over to a roughly rectangular version that continued in the same shape until 2006. It stayed on the fender in front of the brake booster and master until 02 and in 03 they moved it to the front side of the right tail light.

The vacuum reservoir under the battery tray stayed in that location throughout the TJ production run.
Huh, I never knew. Good to know (y)