What is top speed in 4 wheel high and low?

25 mph max in 4lo seems to stick in my head. Owner's manual should say. I've been up to 68mph in 4hi, but wouldn't recommend sustaining that speed for any length of time.

Reactions: MikeM and StG58
Thank you all! Was heading up to the pass on Christmas and didn't want to burn anything up! You guys rock and crawl! Some of you are a bit muddy but your all good buddies.

Reactions: JMT
Yes if the road is paved, stay out of 4Hi. Only if a paved road is completely covered with snow or ice should you ever select 4Hi. 4Hi should not even be used on roads that are simply wet from rain, even if the rain is heavy.

Reactions: Marc L
Yes if the road is paved, stay out of 4Hi. Only if a paved road is completely covered with snow or ice should you ever select 4Hi. 4Hi should not even be used on roads that are simply wet from rain, even if the rain is heavy.
I’ve always wondered why out of curiosity? What actual mechanism/part is put under stress that is being compromised? Something in the differentials?

There needs to be a road surface with some slippage for the tires, dirt, gravel, snow etc. in order for the driveline to not bind up when turning. Turning will cause the two differentials to be turning at different rates. If that happens enough, something will bind up enough and break. Diffs, axles, transfer case, or a combination of them. If driving in a perfectly straight line, no problem. Turning on pavement in 4wd without some tire slippage - not good.

Reactions: Marc L and JMT
I’ve always wondered why out of curiosity? What actual mechanism/part is put under stress that is being compromised? Something in the differentials?
It's not so much a strength issue as it sometimes could be a handling issue. First, the TJ's 4x4 system is a "part-time" 4x4 system... i.e. it is not designed to be used full-time on the streets. How it works is the transfer case mechanically locks the front & rear driveshafts together and thus the axles are mechanically locked together so they are forced to turn at exactly the same speed/rpm. However, the front axle needs to turn faster during turns since the front tires have to rotate faster than the rear tires do during a turn. Even on a slight highway curve, not just hard 90 degree turns. That causes drivetrain "wind-up" by the front driveshaft trying to rotate faster than the rear driveshaft is and the transfer case is caught in the middle.

That isn't actually known to cause damage, the transfer case is stronger than that. If it wasn't we'd have Wranglers & other trucks found on the side of the road with broken transfer cases from all of the idiots who know no better and like to drive around in 4x4 even when not needed. The real problem is if you get into a varying traction situation, like patches of snow, ice, or even dirt while driving on the highway, that bind (wind-up) could suddenly release itself if one of the tires hits that low traction area and suddenly spins or slips to release the binding/wind-up. That could conceivably cause a spin-out, slide, etc. in some conditions.

The way full-time 4x4 systems or all-wheel drive systems can be driven in 4x4 full-time is that their transfer cases also have a differential inside (like is inside of our axles) that allows for differentiation between the front and rear axles which means wind-up/binding between the axles does not occur.

So the long and the short of it is driving a Wrangler in 4x4 on a high-traction paved surface is not likely to break anything, but it can at least cause compromised handling, jerky steering, etc. from drivetrain wind-up/binding between the front & rear axles. And it certainly isn't good for the transfer case for it to be the center of this binding problem. :)

Last edited:
It's not so much a strength issue as it sometimes could be a handling issue. First, the TJ's 4x4 system is a "part-time" 4x4 system... i.e. it is not designed to be used full-time on the streets. How it works is the transfer case mechanically locks the front & rear driveshafts together and thus the axles are mechanically locked together so they are forced to turn at exactly the same speed/rpm. However, the front axle needs to turn faster during turns since the front tires have to rotate faster than the rear tires during a turn. Even on a slight highway curve, not just hard 90 degree turns. That causes drivetrain "wind-up" by the front driveshaft trying to rotate faster than the rear driveshaft is and the transfer case is caught in the middle.

That isn't actually known to cause damage, the transfer case is stronger than that. If it wasn't we'd have Wranglers & other trucks found on the side of the road with broken transfer cases from all of the idiots who know no better and like to drive around in 4x4 even when not needed. The real problem is if you get into a varying traction situation, like patches of snow, ice, or even dirt while driving on the highway, that bind (wind-up) could suddenly release itself if one of the tires hits that low traction area and suddenly spins or slips to release the binding/wind-up. That could conceivably cause a spin-out, slide, etc. in some conditions.

The way full-time 4x4 systems or all-wheel drive systems can be driven in 4x4 full-time is that their transfer cases also have a differential inside (like is inside of our axles) that allows for differentiation between the front and rear axles which means wind-up/binding between the axles does not occur.

So the long and the short of it is driving a Wrangler in 4x4 on a high-traction paved surface is not likely to break anything, but it can at least cause compromised handling, jerky steering, etc. from drivetrain wind-up/binding between the front & rear axles. And it certainly isn't good for the transfer case for it to be the center of this binding problem. :)
Gotcha. Very cool. Thanks for the very clear explanation! :)

I had mine up to 85mph briefly, it isn't safe. 75mph should be the absolute, momentary max IMO - at least with my tires and lift. I haven't had 4LO (with a 4:1) over 20mph.

Also, do not exceed the rated specs for your tires.