What is widest tire I can put on 16x7 wheels?

With or without wheel spacers? You don't want to go over a 10.5" wide tire without spacers.
Thanks, presumably that is a matter of fitting in the wheel well. If you work on the basis that I can add whatever spacer that is necessary, what is the widest tire I can put on a 16x7” wheel?

As per Google University;

Equivalency table
Rim widthMinimum tire widthMaximum tire width
6,0 Inches175 mm205 mm
6,5 Inches185 mm215 mm
7,0 Inches195 mm225 mm
7,5 Inches205 mm235 mm

Reactions: UKTJ

Equivalency table
6,0 Inches175 mm205 mm
6,5 Inches185 mm215 mm
7,0 Inches195 mm225 mm
7,5 Inches205 mm235 mm
That’s pretty inaccurate. My Toyota came from the factory with 7” wide wheels and 265mm tires. Many run 285s on them without issue.

OP - look up the tire size you’re interested in running and see what rim width the manufacturer recommends. For example, BFG says their AT KO2 in a 275 width is fine on a 7” wide rim (as seen below), but they recommend at least 7.5” width for a 285.

E4BA0998-E2DD-4BA8-9E2C-197B60CD9F18.jpeg

If I had 16x7 wheels, the sizes I would be looking at are 245/75-16, 235/85-16, 265/75-16, or 255/85-16, depending on how tall I wanted to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishtaco

Equivalency table
6,0 Inches175 mm205 mm
6,5 Inches185 mm215 mm
7,0 Inches195 mm225 mm
7,5 Inches205 mm235 mm
Yes, I had found a similar table, but it seemed at odds with much else I was reading. Hence the question to the collective experience herewith.

That’s pretty inaccurate. My Toyota came from the factory with 7” wide wheels and 265mm tires. Many run 285s on them without issue.

OP - look up the tire size you’re interested in running and see what rim width the manufacturer recommends. For example, BFG says their AT KO2 in a 275 width is fine on a 7” wide rim, but they recommend at least 7.5” width for a 285.

View attachment 275874

If I had 16x7 wheels, the sizes I would be looking at are 245/75-16, 235/85-16, 265/75-16, or 255/85-16, depending on how tall I wanted to go.
Great suggestion, very helpful, thanks.

Reactions: deadbeat son
Thanks, presumably that is a matter of fitting in the wheel well. If you work on the basis that I can add whatever spacer that is necessary, what is the widest tire I can put on a 16x7” wheel?
It's a matter of the inside sidewalls of the tires rubbing. That's because factory wheels are positioned well into the wheel well (have 5.25" or close backspacing) and the wider the tires are the more apt they are to rub on the frame, control arms, etc.. The way to prevent the rubbing with wider tires is to move the tires outward away from the frame/control arms by either wheel spacers or (better) aftermarket wheels with less backspacing, like 3.75 to 4.5" of backspacing. Don't confuse backspacing with offset, they are not measures of the same thing.

It's a matter of the inside sidewalls of the tires rubbing. That's because factory wheels are positioned well into the wheel well (have 5.25" or close backspacing) and the wider the tires are the more apt they are to rub on the frame, control arms, etc.. The way to prevent the rubbing with wider tires is to move the tires outward away from the frame/control arms by either wheel spacers or (better) aftermarket wheels with less backspacing, like 3.75 to 4.5" of backspacing. Don't confuse backspacing with offset, they are not measures of the same thing.
That's really helpful, thanks.

Do you agree up to 10.5" without a spacer is likely to be OK?

That's really helpful, thanks.

Do you agree up to 10.5" without a spacer is likely to be OK?
Yes, though you will likely need to add a washer to each of the two steering stop bolts as described in the link. That stops the inside sidewalls of the front tires from rubbing on the frame/control arms when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left or right. The washer is placed under the nut that is welded onto the bolt.

http://4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html