What is your opinion about...

JP13

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What is your opinion about tail light guards? Do they serve an actual purpose or are they just mall crawler decorations?

Asking about guards not covers.

I can't see myself in a situation where I'd crack a tail light. Have you? If so, how?

FB_IMG_1484626531997.jpg

They can cause grounding issues with the lights, and if you hit something, you stand a chance of denting the tub instead of breaking the light. I'd rather change a cheap light instead of repairing body damage.

Reactions: JP13 and PCO6
When I bought mine (Smittybilt) the guy at the store said they would start to rust at about the 2 year mark. He was exactly right. Can't wait to take them off as they aren't doing me any good and they look bad.

Reactions: JP13 and JP98
I bought a pair at a Jeep event. Wife liked them. I personally don't care, but I can say with having kids it actually came in handy. Four year old loves dads jeep and climbing on it. Well I caught him climbing on the back and saw him standing on the taillight guard, held his weight so I guess it saved my taillight. just my two cents.

Reactions: JP13
I've never been worried about cracking my taillight. They do however look cool on some Jeeps. I personally don't care for them though.

Waste of $$$, they cost more than the tail light they aren't strong enough to protect. Not to mention as mentioned they cause grounding issues for the taillight housing which can drive you crazy when one of the taillights stops working.

Reactions: JP13 and Chris
Seems like it would make cleaning the light and around it a PITA. I have some flush mounts, just need to get them installed.

I've got a set on from the po, tub dented behind top of the guard, if I take them off you can see the dent from a mile a way.

I was just interested in everyone's opinions. It seems you all agree with my thought about the guards. Wa$te.

I'm not a fan of the flush mounted lights. They remind me of the low rider trucks.

I think I'll pass on covers also. I want my tail lights to be clearly visible. I replaced the bulbs with extremely bright LEDs.

That's something I haven't seen before. Interesting, but I prefer the chunky look of the stock lights.