What makes you buy one lift kit over another one?

Blake Stamper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I am a Highschooler who plans on going into entrepreneurship and photography and I am honestly curious when you guys are specifically shopping for Lift Kits and armor what are you looking for, I.E what makes you buy one kit over another one.

Last edited:
If you know what you're looking for, the manufacturer's reputation for durability and function is what drives most aftermarket decisions for the hard core guy.... The owner that is more price sensitive and does not plan to use the jeep extensively off road well usually makes his purchase decision around tire size and lift height for those, and price.

Also as an overall, everybody realizes when you stay under two and a half inches of lift regardless of what you want to do with the vehicle that you're going to get a lot of capability without making a lot of changes and adjustments... So sometimes that plays in regardless of the price category someone wants to be in.

As far as photography goes the look of the equipment it certainly is going to drive purchase decisions and the way guys like you present that look to the market is important .

I really appreciate your post.... I have a passion for young people going out into the world with a plan... And I don't mean being led to a career that they don't want....but looking ahead with what they can do with their life that will be satisfying and fulfilling, and asking how can they serve others with that. Your post is very indicative of that.

Not only is a picture worth a thousand words but it's worth millions of dollars if you put enough of them together in the right format and sell them to the right people.

Being an entrepreneur crosses all boundaries... Once you learn how to make money you can just about do it in any business.

I'll go ahead and share with you things that I think are important right now-

Learn how to write effectively.

Learn how to be articulate. people that write and speak well on average make over 20% and over the course of a lifetime that is massive... That's way more than interest can do alone.

Be passionate. Follow your heart.. but for goodness sake use your head.

Use debt sparingly and effectively.

Remember startup cost is real...also you will spend your second and third year replacing all the cheap equipment you bought your first year... They tell you if you last 5 years you've got a chance.. that's not far off.

A good overnight success takes about 10 years. It takes about that long to get established.

Never stop learning your vocation...and learn everything you can about everything it touches.

Remember at the end of the day human beings are basically self-serving creatures... we all do what's in our own best interest... Look on this forum every thread on here usually is about some guy that's trying to fix his problem or make the right decision , etc. That isn't wrong ....that's just normal human behavior. Learn to cater to that and you can be wealthy.... You can pretty much sell anything.

Find out who Jay Abraham is and listen to everything he has to say... He is the most intuitive marketing guru on the planet... And he can back it up because he did it making Icy Hot a house hold name... A company he bought to sell off the inventory and basically sink it and use the resources...but it caught on. he paid $250,000 for it and sold it for 13 million in a few years.

Keep at it kid.... Don't go out into the world thinking it owes you anything and thinking that you're going to be a step ahead of everybody. Don't worry about failure.. .try to avoid it but at the same time the best experience you're going to get is probably going to come from it. Sometimes the best thing you can do is fail as fast as you can and get it out of the way.

Be persistent beyond belief... never quit trying... And I'm not saying beat your head against the wall...Change your approach keep going back and keep going back keep trying to find a way to do what you need to do to help others.

Do what's the best interest of your clients and the money will come. It might take a while, that's why you don't go into a lot of debt but it will come. You want it to stick to your fingers when it does.

Never get so caught up in what you're doing and who you are that you can't buy a homeless person lunch or do something for somebody that you know can't pay you back.

Also find a way to give back... Even if it's going out and taking pictures for foster children at their birthdays... anything. Everybody notices kindness and good pictures light up a face ... That's largely why Facebook is so popular... pictures.

Remember the easy money has already been made a long time ago... It takes persistence energy and creativity to stand out in today's world.

Study people in your field that are successful and read about people that are successful in every field...and never forget some of the best advice you will get may come from somebody that's totally out of your line of work... A lot of times they will have an aerial view and they can see things you can't. I've had several huge, career saving type things happen because of people that were outside of my line of work.

Control your business money...if you spend money that you don't need to spend all you're doing is stealing from yourself.

All the best..you can succeed. And with your attitude of getting on here and asking questions...I think you will.

Andy G

Last edited:
If you know what you're looking for, the manufacturer's reputation for durability and function is what drives most aftermarket decisions for the hard core guy.... The owner that is more price sensitive and does not plan to use the jeep extensively off road well usually makes his purchase decision around tire size and lift height for those, and price.

Also as an overall, everybody realizes when you stay under two and a half inches of lift regardless of what you want to do with the vehicle that you're going to get a lot of capability without making a lot of changes and adjustments... So sometimes that plays in regardless of the price category someone wants to be in.

As far as photography goes the look of the equipment it certainly is going to drive purchase decisions and the way guys like you present that look to the market is important .

I really appreciate your post.... I have a passion for young people going out into the world with a plan... And I don't mean being led to a career that they don't want....but looking ahead with what they can do with their life that will be satisfying and fulfilling, and asking how can they serve others with that. Your post is very indicative of that.

Not only is a picture worth a thousand words but it's worth millions of dollars if you put enough of them together in the right format and sell them to the right people.

Being an entrepreneur crosses all boundaries... Once you learn how to make money you can just about do it in any business.

Learn how to be articulate. people that write and speak well on average make over 20% and over the course of a lifetime that is massive... That's way more than interest can do alone.

Remember startup cost is real...also you will spend your second and third year replacing all the cheap equipment you bought your first year... They tell you if you last 5 years you've got a chance.. that's not far off.

A good overnight success takes about 10 years. It takes about that long to get established.

Never stop learning your vocation...and learn everything you can about everything it touches.

Remember at the end of the day human beings are basically self-serving creatures... we all do what's in our own best interest... Look on this forum every thread on here usually is about some guy that's trying to fix his problem or make the right decision , etc. That isn't wrong ....that's just normal human behavior. Learn to cater to that and you can be wealthy.... You can pretty much sell anything.

Find out who Jay Abraham is and listen to everything he has to say... He is the most intuitive marketing guru on the planet... And he can back it up because he did it making Icy Hot a house hold name... A company he bought to sell off the inventory and basically sink it and use the resources...but it caught on. he paid $250,000 for it and sold it for 13 million in a few years.

Keep at it kid.... Don't go out into the world thinking it owes you anything and thinking that you're going to be a step ahead of everybody. Don't worry about failure.. .try to avoid it but at the same time the best experience you're going to get is probably going to come from it. Sometimes the best thing you can do is fail as fast as you can and get it out of the way.

Be persistent beyond belief... never quit trying... And I'm not saying beat your head against the wall...Change your approach keep going back and keep going back keep trying to find a way to do what you need to do to help others.

Do what's the best interests of your clients and the money will come. It might take a while, that's why you don't go into a lot of debt but it will come. You want it to stick to your fingers when it does.

Never get so caught up in what you're doing and who you are that you can't buy a homeless person lunch or do something for somebody that you know can't pay you back.

Also find a way to give back... Even if it's going out and taking pictures for foster children at their birthdays... anything. Everybody notices kindness and good pictures light up a face ... That's largely why Facebook is so popular... pictures.

Remember the easy money has already been made a long time ago... It takes persistence energy and creativity to stand out in today's world.

Study people in your field that are successful and read about people that are successful in every field...and never forget some of the best advice you will get may come from somebody that's totally out of your line of work... A lot of times they will have an aerial view and they can see things you can't. I've had several huge, career saving type things happen because of people that were outside of my line of work.

Control your business money...if you spend money that you don't need to spend all you're doing is stealing from yourself.

All the best..you can succeed. And with your attitude of getting on here and asking questions...I think you will.

Andy G
Longest post ever. Good job.

Longest post ever. Good job.
Well nobody was saying anything and he really hit a chord with me... I wouldn't have a TJ or two... Or be anywhere near where I am if people had not had lit the path for me.

I didn't mean to write a book... And actually I have the rough draft of a book that I've been wanting to write relative to the industry that I'm in.

I guess we're all a little bit lost trying to get started in life... But the world needs to do more than just look at kids and tell them they need to be an engineer or whatever...our society just does not show kids how to make it.

What makes you buy one car over another one?

When shopping for a new car, why would you choose let's say a Toyota over a GM?

Do what's the best interests of your clients and the money will come. It might take a while, that's why you don't go into a lot of debt but it will come. You want it to stick to your fingers when it does.

Andy G
Thank you, That's honestly very helpful and I am very grateful for your encouragement!!

Reactions: AndyG
Here's a follow up question how much is a good pricing as in how much would you spend for lets say a 4 in mid arm lift with a skid and bracket setup?

@AndyG Has some of the best advice that has ever been given!!! Having had 3 different businesses and now back working for someone else, I am still doing what I enjoy.

Build your Jeep according to the wheeling you are planning on doing! If you enjoy riding around on forest service roads and light wheeling 2 1/2" will do the trick. Rock crawling and heavy trails get with @Chris and @Jerry Bransford build for what you plan on doing not just to be the coolest looking Jeep on the block, remember function over fashion !!!!

Kits are typically put together for people who don't have knowledge of the various parts. When you're younger, they're mostly bought on price, and for looks. When you're older, you buy parts and assemble your own kit, based on function, quality, and reputation. If you're lucky, you find a vendor where all three of these align and they put something together, so you don't have to think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
But, but not everyone can mall crawl as cool as you brother.... :cool: :ROFLMAO:
Don't be jealous. Your "Limited" Jeep wouldn't make it through the mud we have at our malls.:unsure:
jeep-stuck-parking-lot (2).jpg

Last edited:
Two random thoughts to add:

1. You can target your product development and marketing on the proverbial 2%, or the 98%. You will see better revenue with the latter, though credibility with the former can help drive sales. The aftermarket for the Jeep brand has a “hardcore” ratio higher perhaps than any other vehicle, so that “2%” might be more like 10%. (Somebody in the industry will probably have the real data.)

2. Paint all components the same, distinctive bright color to help build brand identity that can be seen across the mall parking lot. For a large part of your potential market, the reason for getting bling is so that it, well, blings.

• Haha
2. Paint all components the same, distinctive bright color to help build brand identity that can be seen across the mall parking lot. For a large part of your potential market, the reason for getting bling is so that it, well, blings.
But offer the option of basic black or some other less obnoxious color. Theres a reasonably sized group out here that don’t care about the bling aspect. But still want the quality parts at a reasonable cost.

• Haha
So I am a Highschooler who plans on going into entrepreneurship and photography and I am honestly curious when you guys are specifically shopping for Lift Kits and armor what are you looking for, I.E what makes you buy one kit over another one.
If you want to be successful in a business selling to folks who own Jeeps there are a few things you need to get your head around and you don't have to do it yourself, you can hire someone to do it for you.
1- Marketing- you have to be able to basically lie about your products and or service and tell everyone you are the best. If you are more on the honest side, that really limits your target demographic. That may sound like a bit of bullshit but go look at any of the low end lift kit sellers and see if they actually tell you why their crap is cheaper. From high to low, the tag line is the same, "we are the best". That can't really be true so someone is stretching the truth a bit or more than a bit.

2- The best kept secret in selling products to Jeep owners is to figure out with a quickness that the vast majority of them won't actually use most products for their intended purpose offroad, they just want to look like they do. The more your products make them look like a perceived serious offroader, the more you will sell. Two examples are Alloy USA when it started and RCV. Alloy axles by and large were no stronger than stock. But, the owner knew that since most rarely use their rigs hard enough to break even stock axle, it didn't matter and as long as his no questions asked warranty was rarely used, he was golden and he was. The second part of that bullshit was almost none of his axle products were US made. Gotcha twice.

RCV makes a good product. When they first came out several purchased and then any time an axle discussion came up they hopped in and said you had to get RCV. I spent several years making a point of asking what problem they solved by buying RCV? How many stock axles did you break? What other brands of high strength axles did you break before you attempted to solve that issue by going to RCV? For several years the answer was always the same, never broke a stock one but you still need to run RCV.

3- Jeepers will buy shit endlessly and spend crazy amounts of money on stuff that is gimmicky. Come up with anything that is a gimmick and you can sell a metric shit ton of it. You just need to believe you can convince them as to why they need it. If you can make it shiny, offer it in colors to match their underwear of the day, even better.

4- Find a genius to partner with that knows the inside of a Jeeper's head. That will help you target them to sell what they will buy. An example is the shade products that are a piece of net stretched over the top of a roll cage and bungeed in place. They sell 1000's of them and that is a product that I simply do not understand. You want shade, you don't get something with a zillion holes in it. You get solid cloth and that not only gives you shade, but if it sprinkles a bit, you don't get wet. I'd never own one, run one, and I never stop giggling at those who do but there you go, 1000's sold so it is clear I don't understand what folks will buy. The sad part is I used to have a tarp business and made many products from that industrial netting cloth. Mostly it is used to cover trash on the way to the dump so maybe that's why I don't get it. Or maybe I'm too much all or nothing but a shade that isn't, baffles me.

In short, be awesome at bullshit, believe in your ability to bullshit customers, make bullshit products, and no matter what, never let anyone know you are bullshitting them. My only sadness in life is I can not do that. I wish I could.

Reactions: rasband and Artisan
If you want to be successful in a business selling to folks who own Jeeps there are a few things you need to get your head around and you don't have to do it yourself, you can hire someone to do it for you.
1- Marketing- you have to be able to basically lie about your products and or service and tell everyone you are the best. If you are more on the honest side, that really limits your target demographic. That may sound like a bit of bullshit but go look at any of the low end lift kit sellers and see if they actually tell you why their crap is cheaper. From high to low, the tag line is the same, "we are the best". That can't really be true so someone is stretching the truth a bit or more than a bit.

2- The best kept secret in selling products to Jeep owners is to figure out with a quickness that the vast majority of them won't actually use most products for their intended purpose offroad, they just want to look like they do. The more your products make them look like a perceived serious offroader, the more you will sell. Two examples are Alloy USA when it started and RCV. Alloy axles by and large were no stronger than stock. But, the owner knew that since most rarely use their rigs hard enough to break even stock axle, it didn't matter and as long as his no questions asked warranty was rarely used, he was golden and he was. The second part of that bullshit was almost none of his axle products were US made. Gotcha twice.

RCV makes a good product. When they first came out several purchased and then any time an axle discussion came up they hopped in and said you had to get RCV. I spent several years making a point of asking what problem they solved by buying RCV? How many stock axles did you break? What other brands of high strength axles did you break before you attempted to solve that issue by going to RCV? For several years the answer was always the same, never broke a stock one but you still need to run RCV.

3- Jeepers will buy shit endlessly and spend crazy amounts of money on stuff that is gimmicky. Come up with anything that is a gimmick and you can sell a metric shit ton of it. You just need to believe you can convince them as to why they need it. If you can make it shiny, offer it in colors to match their underwear of the day, even better.

4- Find a genius to partner with that knows the inside of a Jeeper's head. That will help you target them to sell what they will buy. An example is the shade products that are a piece of net stretched over the top of a roll cage and bungeed in place. They sell 1000's of them and that is a product that I simply do not understand. You want shade, you don't get something with a zillion holes in it. You get solid cloth and that not only gives you shade, but if it sprinkles a bit, you don't get wet. I'd never own one, run one, and I never stop giggling at those who do but there you go, 1000's sold so it is clear I don't understand what folks will buy. The sad part is I used to have a tarp business and made many products from that industrial netting cloth. Mostly it is used to cover trash on the way to the dump so maybe that's why I don't get it. Or maybe I'm too much all or nothing but a shade that isn't, baffles me.

In short, be awesome at bullshit, believe in your ability to bullshit customers, make bullshit products, and no matter what, never let anyone know you are bullshitting them. My only sadness in life is I can not do that. I wish I could.
That's pretty much nailing it.... There is probably 10 times more money spent to personalize and accentuating jeeps then there is to make them truly more capable.

I can't think of any vehicle on the road that owners endlessly do so much crazy stuff to them.