WHAT OIL TO USE

JANET

I HAVE 2003 WRANGLER X. JUST CHECKING FOR INFO FOR THE TYPE OIL TO USE. BOUGHT JEEP AND HAS NO OWNER MANUAL.....
THANK FOR ANY HELP
JANET

@JANET

You can use 5W-30 or 10W-30. I prefer the 5W-30 myself.

As for brand, doesn't really matter. Just use a reputable name brand and you'll be fine.

Don't get concerned with synthetic, semi-synthetic, etc. Basic oil is fine for our engines. We are dealing with a tractor engine after all, not a high horsepower performance engine.

Reactions: StG58
X2 on the above advice on using either of the two suggested viscosities. The brand absolutely does not matter with today's modern engine oils. Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, Walmart, Shell, Pennzoil, Havoline, are all superb. I personally run Valvoline but would happily run any of the others if Valvoline were to somehow disappear.

Conventional oil is fine too in most climates. Synthetic oil only becomes worth the extra $$$ during extreme cold conditions like occurs in places like Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. where it flows better. :)

I'm with Jerry, I have always used Valvoline and my engines have all made it over 200k. I actually use synthetic in my jeep. As long as you buy a good brand name and change it on schedule you should be fine.

Oil is becoming my least fav subject, but I am only trying to learn here too. I think I remember recently reading here that Mobil full synthetic showed more than normal iron content when drained from these cast iron blocks, according to testing. Does the 2003 have C.I. block or were the test results from warmer climates? Im really trying to find the best oil to use as well.

Oil is becoming my least fav subject, but I am only trying to learn here too. I think I remember recently reading here that Mobil full synthetic showed more than normal iron content when drained from these cast iron blocks, according to testing. Does the 2003 have C.I. block or were the test results from warmer climates? Im really trying to find the best oil to use as well.
Yep all 4.0L and 2.5L engines are cast iron blocks.

Don't get into analysis paralysis on oil, ANY of our well-known major brands are fine. I usually run Valvoline out of habit but would just as happily run Castrol, Mobil, Shell, Walmart, Pennzoil, Pennzoil, etc. I read the same test results from Blackstone Labs indicating they saw more iron in Mobil-1 test samples. Not that I would pay extra to run a synthetic unless I lived where it routinely got well below freezing. Uber cold conditions are the only time I feel paying more for a synthetic engine oil would be warranted.

X2 on the above advice on using either of the two suggested viscosities. The brand absolutely does not matter with today's modern engine oils. Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, Walmart, Shell, Pennzoil, Havoline, are all superb. I personally run Valvoline but would happily run any of the others if Valvoline were to somehow disappear.

Conventional oil is fine too in most climates. Synthetic oil only becomes worth the extra $$$ during extreme cold conditions like occurs in places like Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. where it flows better. :)
Or Utah or Oregon where -18 winters are not uncommon. Shame on you Jerry.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I just use whatever us that dark olive brown color,and doesn't stink. Quit over thinking this!

Im definately done over thinking it. Ive already decided when whatever oil Im using changes to near dark just change it and all should be fine.