What parts do I need to swap the gears on my front axle?

thekidwithquestions

Acquiring Jeep funds...
Supporting Member
Im getting my front axle gears swapped and I want to know what parts I need, of course I'll need a new ring and pinion, I'll also need a new carrier, anything else im missing?

AXLE NOT PULLED

Master Kit
AXLE Seals (do it now they are cheap)
Ring and Pinion Gear
Carrier for your gear size
Locker now is the time if you don't have one
Gear lube
other stuff while you have torn down but not required
U joints (Drive shaft and Axles)
Brakes
Unit Bearings

AXLE PULLED AND REBUILT ON BENCH (My preferred method because I do not have a lift)
other stuff but not required

Paint / Powder coat
Shocks
Brake Lines
Springs
Worn Steering components
control arms and/or bushings or Johnny Joints
A lift if so desired

IMG_3834.JPG

Last edited:
If you're hiring a shop to install your gears, I strongly recommend you have them to provide ALL of the parts needed. Even if it means paying a little more.

If it's a shop and they install your parts, they will likely blame your parts if anything goes wrong during or after the installation... and the usual cause of problems is from the installer screwing the job up. Having them provide all the parts means they can't point their fingers at you or the parts if anything goes wrong. Doing it this way means no warranty headaches.

Reactions: CodaMan
If you're hiring a shop to install your gears, I strongly recommend you have them to provide ALL of the parts needed. Even if it means paying a little more.

If it's a shop and they install your parts, they will likely blame your parts if anything goes wrong during or after the installation... and the usual cause of problems is from the installer screwing the job up. Having them provide all the parts means they can't point their fingers at you or the parts if anything goes wrong. Doing it this way means no warranty headaches.
X2

The OP sounds like he is buying the parts and "getting swapped" so I interpret that as someone else is doing it. Sharing your axle size(s) will help. Aside from the tools necessary and recommended for gear installs, setup bearings & races are needed. Don't forget a gallon of gear oil.

X3
Realize the shop makes money on parts as well as labor. The money they make on the parts is easy.
When someone brings in their own parts, the shop loses that profit.
Later after the install, if problems arise, the shop will remember this whether it's right or wrong.
If the shop is worth a damn go ahead and get the parts through them, it will be worth it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford