What should I do about this squeak?

RYAN17

Okay so I live in New England and it has been pretty cold. When it is cold out I hear a squeak coming from underneath me somewhere. It is definitely something rotational because it seems to be consistent with my acceleration. The sound goes away about 5 min into driving. It happened last winter also, but I just ignored it and it went away when it got warmer. I have always suspected that it is the driveshaft centering ball, but I never really dug into it to investigate because it went away. But now its back because its cold again. The problem is that I will sadly be parting with my TJ within a year (I dont want to talk about it, its like losing a child). Anyways, I didn't want to spend anything if I don't have to. I also don't want something to seize up and ruin my T-case or something. So I didn't know if anybody experienced this and has any input.

If the front centering ball of the cardan craps the bed, you can hang up not spending anything.

If the front centering ball of the cardan craps the bed, you can hang up not spending anything.
X2, a bad DC joint on the front driveshaft can make an "angry sparrows" sound. If it gets bad enough to seize the CV joint it can take the entire transfer case with it. It's a sound you need to address to verify if it's that or something less potentially less expensive. Spray the CV with copious amounts of a good penetrating lube. If lubing the CV stops the squeak remove the front driveshaft asap and have it rebuilt or buy a replacement from www.4xshaft.com

Reactions: AndyG
X2, that can make an "angry sparrows" sound. If it gets bad enough to seize the CV joint it can take the entire transfer case with it. It's a sound you need to address to verify if it's that or something less potentially less expensive.
I'm a fan of wd 40 on parts to see if it quietens them down short term, but that's a guess too....noise means " I need attention " in the mechanical world. It generally pays to chase it down....and they can really be elusive.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Any amount you spend to repair a driveshaft is a hell of a lot cheaper than what it can cost to not repair a driveshaft.