what should I do

jwheron87

I live in Wyoming so the trails and nearby states my Jeep is getting old 2001 Jeep tj with 206,000 mile stock suspension and I think it’s time for a lift I don’t want a high lift 3 is my max I want to go. I’m look at some kits and 2” is want I like and will be running flat fenders to I want the flax to

So my question is what do you guys think I should do I need new spring and shocks what kit and why and your honest opinion?
Would not like to break my bank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What problem specifically are you trying to solve or address? Is the Jeep just sitting too low and catching rocks on the trails?

You may know about this but I think there's is a max lift height you can go to without majorly changing what I understand to be the geometry of the suspension - basically, after you go over a certain height you will need to buy other parts (i.e. control arms) to "fit" with the new ride height. It sounds like it gets expensive fast and it also sounds like maybe you wouldn't want to do something like that.

I'd start by finding out how high you can go without having to invest in other suspension parts. Rancho Rs5000x shocks are good shocks for anyone on a budget (I use them) and they can be bought ready to work with different lift heights. H&R makes I think 1" lift spring set that just requires normal installation. I used Moog's (#3226 and 3227) which, for me, measure juuust slightly above stock height.

Get a little more ground clearance and most dirt roads around here are rutted out and we get some good snow

I was thinking of a two inch lift so I can get a little bigger tire but mostly I’m springs and shocks are warn out and need to replace than just asking I guess what would you guys do

Get a little more ground clearance and most dirt roads around here are rutted out and we get some good snow

I was thinking of a two inch lift so I can get a little bigger tire but mostly I’m springs and shocks are warn out and need to replace than just asking I guess what would you guys do

I used to live just down the road from you in Jackson. 2" and aggressive 31"s should be more than enough to get around most of the roads in that area (though, my lockers were invaluable many times). I would look into some OME springs and some rancho shocks. There are quite a few threads about putting 31's on a Jeep around the internet. You should be able to find some more specifics in those.

Reactions: Flivver250
Agree⬆️⬆️⬆️. Should be able to run 32's with this setup. Most "flat fender" or flat flares claim to give around an extra inch of tire clearance. Should be fine for all but the worst of back roads.

If it were me I’d piece a lift together to get exactly what you want.

Find a decent 2” spring... bds, jspec, OME.... size it with the correct size shock maybe Rancho gas shocks. Get new stock arms not necessary, but I’d at least do new bushings in your arms with 200k miles on them. Possibly a rear track bar bracket and new bushings for your stock rear track bar. Stick with rubber. And I’d put new bushings in your front track bar. This setup might cost you $600and freshen up your suspension. If you go through Northridge 4x4 they have a coupon for up to 20% off. Type in LITEBRITE.

Again, if it were me I’d run 31’s or body lift and 33’s depending on what you want your jeep to do.

Reactions: jwheron87
For the cost of stock arms I wouldn't go through the PITA of pressing out and back in 16 bushings. But then I am quickly turning into a fat grumpy old man.

Reactions: Dougj169