What should I paint my Dana 44 with?

What should I paint my Dana 44 with?

• Brush on Black Ceramic 2K Primer and Topcoat ($100)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Spray on Self-Etching Primer and Topcoat ($25)

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Nothing, just bolt up and hit the trails!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used Chassis saver, though I'm sure its the same as POR-15, Zero Rust, etc. Its about 50 bucks a quart, but it seems to stick really well. I've used POR too, but there is a bit more prep work with it. It does dry tough as nails though. I did a mower deck with it, and had to retap my threaded holes to get the bolts to start.

The chassis saver was easy to apply. Get the scale and loose stuff off, clean it. Clean it again, seriously. CLEAN. Brush it on, and let it dry. I used some thinner/reducer which helped level the brush marks out. Once its dry, I scuffed the gloss with a scotchbrite pad (red) and hit it with the semi-gloss Krylon, just to knock the edge off. Chassis saver is VERY glossy.

How about "aerosol overhaul".
I agree,
If it were me I would just clean it up and use a roll bar chassis rustoleum in a can. it would probably take two cans at most. If you wanted to get really down and dirty you could clean it and spray self etching primer, but you need to get it super clean and I wouldn't waste time or money. It isn't a show truck. A nice clean cheap black will look awesome in my opinion. And even if you primer it and drag it on rocks it will take off the primer and you are going to touch it up with paint anyways, so I would get it cleans as you can and just cover with some rustolem. That is my opinion.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Squatch
Black boot polish...spit shine until you can see your face in it...now drop and give me 20 soldier!! (whoops sorry wrong thread) haha

Reactions: Drizit
My stock half door TJ sometimes surprises some drivers in the trail and was like "you got Dana 44" ?
I feel proud, gets into my head and so, sometimes I clean it good when I get back home, spray some rusto every now and then to "show off" at the next outing. Did I say "half door" he-he.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and Squatch
To use the self etching primer... is it required to take all the finish/paint down to the bare metal,.? Or
Can you just scuff it up and apply the self etching primer then top coat it.?

To use the self etching primer... is it required to take all the finish/paint down to the bare metal,.? Or
Can you just scuff it up and apply the self etching primer then top coat it.?
It's primarily designed for better adhesion to bare metal, as I understand it. Not sure if it would be a problem, or not, applying it over another paint. If I had to venture a guess, I'd think it would be alright to do. You could always try a small area and see if it lifts the paint from under it. If it doesn't, I'd be inclined to go for it.

Reactions: KCsTJ