What should I re-gear my TJ to?

Smokinem14

Hello all, I am looking for some sound advice and assistance for those that re geared their TJ's. I have a 1999 3spd 4.0 Dana 30/Dana 35 TRUCK sitting on 35's with a 4 inch lift. To my surprise and everyone and else this truck came with 3.73 not 3.07 from the factory. I am loosing my mind on what i should re-gear my truck to, I see everything from 4.10 to 5.88. I use this as a daily driver and in snow when it comes but other then that, thats all I use it for. Can someone help me nail down what the best ratio should be and do I need to change the carrier as well? Thank You in advance.

Caution, your Dana 35's stock axle shafts are not up to running offroad with 35's. And after you regear, with 4.56 being optimal for your 32RH transmission and that size tire, the problem will be even worse since your rear axle shafts will be receiving even more torque.

For 35's and a Dana 35 you really need to install a Super 35 kit asap. That kit replaces the factory carbon steel 27 spline shafts with hardened 1541H 30 spline shafts which have a significantly larger diameter. The kit includes a choice of a couple lockers since you can no longer run the factory carrier once the shafts are upgraded to the larger diameter 30 spline shafts.

This is what happened to a friend while we were wheeling together, she was running 35's on her stock Dana 35. It took some time to get her back to camp and then someone had to drive at least 100 miles to bring a replacement axle shaft which we installed that night so she could drive home the next day.

Marianne640x480.jpg