What to do rear bumper

johnl112

Hello, I currently own a 04 tj. I have a stock rear bumper carrier with no reinforcement on the hinges or anything. I want to match the rest of my wheels by adding a spare 33x 12.50 to the back. Whats the cheapest and safest way to do so. Thanks

Hello, I currently own a 04 tj. I have a stock rear bumper carrier with no reinforcement on the hinges or anything. I want to match the rest of my wheels by adding a spare 33x 12.50 to the back. Whats the cheapest and safest way to do so. Thanks
There isnt a cheap way out to my knowledge....the MoRyde exogate is popular.

a spare, matching wheel and carrier can end up being $800-1000.00. It shocked me .

I don’t know about anything being cheap when it comes to Jeeps however, I accomplished what you’re wanting to do by installing the MoRyde Exogate to strengthen tailgate hinges, bought extra rubber stoppers to lengthen OEM ones, to keep the 33x12.5/16 from rattling and adjusted height of third brake light by cutting some sprinkler tubes to use under base of light, with longer bolts. If you need any additional help, please let me know.

I don’t know about anything being cheap when it comes to Jeeps however, I accomplished what you’re wanting to do by installing the MoRyde Exogate to strengthen tailgate hinges, bought extra rubber stoppers to lengthen OEM ones, to keep the 33x12.5/16 from rattling and adjusted height of third brake light by cutting some sprinkler tubes to use under base of light, with longer bolts. If you need any additional help, please let

The MORryde kit will be the best... lightest, and you don't have to swing the spare out of the way to open the tailgate as you do with the bumper mounted spare carriers.

The MORryde usually runs around $400 new from what I've seen, but you may be able to find a used one if you're patient. I picked up a hardly used one for $270 recently and found a rim for my spare to match the others for $50. Already had the spare tire so just had to mount it up. After selling the factory steel wheel the spare was on for $35, I'm into it for a net total of $285.

Just depends on how soon you want or need to make it happen. Took me about a year to piece all together. You could do it all quickly buying new, but as @AndyG mentioned, it'll get spendy.

Reactions: AndyG