What to do while I've got it apart

RobertJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey guys, I'm cutting and capping my frame rails and have the body separated from the frame. My TJ has 194k miles on it, and nothing has been done to the suspension including the OEM shocks. I'm keeping it stock (going with H&R 52107 Sport Springs and Rancho RS5000X Gas Shocks. All of the suspension components are rusty, and I'm not looking forward to removing the shocks. While I've got it this far apart what else should I replace while I'm at it. I was thinking control arms, tie rod ends, and maybe some steering stuff. Honestly, I have no idea how it drives, because I had it towed to my house.

Any suggestions?

Hey guys, I'm cutting and capping my frame rails and have the body separated from the frame. My TJ has 194k miles on it, and nothing has been done to the suspension including the OEM shocks. I'm keeping it stock (going with H&R 52107 Sport Springs and Rancho RS5000X Gas Shocks. All of the suspension components are rusty, and I'm not looking forward to removing the shocks. While I've got it this far apart what else should I replace while I'm at it. I was thinking control arms, tie rod ends, and maybe some steering stuff. Honestly, I have no idea how it drives, because I had it towed to my house.

Any suggestions?
Do you have the tub completely off or just hanging above it? Post up pictures of the frame at both front and rear control arms and transfer case skid. The tub might need work as well, so check the floor pans. I'm in NoVa as well in Vienna. Where are you located? Might be able to swing by one day.

Sarkis

Do you have the tub completely off or just hanging above it? Post up pictures of the frame at both front and rear control arms and transfer case skid. The tub might need work as well, so check the floor pans. I'm in NoVa as well in Vienna. Where are you located? Might be able to swing by one day.

Sarkis

I have all the body mounts loosened, and then lifted on the passenger side (the side I'm working on first) about an 1 1/2". The floor pans are amazingly good, but the center side body mounts on both sides need patched. I have the metal for that already. I'm in Herndon. Send your # via PM, and I'll text you. Feel free to come on out.

I'll post some pics in this thread too.

Reactions: Sj's TJ