What to do with TJ tub?

mamatson

Supporting Member
I am currently trying to decide what to do with my tub. When i purchased my Jeep it was completely stock. One PO, When I purchased it there was a major rust issue in the passenger side floor pan and surface rust on the driver side from a door seal leak that was not addressed. The jeep is currently at the body shop getting a new passenger side floor pan installed and all of the surface rust removed. They are going to be rhino lining the floor pan from beneath the jeep and painting the new tub areas factory white.

I am currently undecided on what I should do after that. Part of me wants to line-x the entire tub. Is it worth it? I am also considering just buying bedrug. I came across a thread that talks in depth about applying Noico to help with sound proofing. Looking for advice. Thanks!

I’d think you should put some type of coating on the tub (lineX, rhino line, lizard skin, etc) before putting in anything that could act as a moisture barrier if you suspect that may ever be an issue again (probably likely in a wrangler).

I’d think you should put some type of coating on the tub (lineX, rhino line, lizard skin, etc) before putting in anything that could act as a moisture barrier if you suspect that may ever be an issue again (probably likely in a wrangler).

X2. I don’t think this is a bad idea. Then finish it off with the sound deadening material.

So line-x then sound deadening material, followed with bedrug.
Sounds like a good plan. Should dramatically change the ride quality, both sound and feel! I’m planning on doing the same in the future.

That's what I would do, yep!

Is it necessary to do Rhino Lining and something like Noinco in the 80ML? I was just going to the Noinco and wound up buying an A-Frame (I didn't even know I needed until I saw the ad on Craigslist) from a gent who owns an after market accessory company, including rhino lining. He said he would do the tub on my TJ for $300 if I pulled out the interior. I made the assumption it would do the same, if not better than the Noinco because it would one continuous even coat.

Thoughts?

Is it necessary to do Rhino Lining and something like Noinco in the 80ML? I was just going to the Noinco and wound up buying an A-Frame (I didn't even know I needed until I saw the ad on Craigslist) from a gent who owns an after market accessory company, including rhino lining. He said he would do the tub on my TJ for $300 if I pulled out the interior. I made the assumption it would do the same, if not better than the Noinco because it would one continuous even coat.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't rhino line anything. I absolutely HATE bed liner.

I wouldn't use a bedliner on the inside (or outside) of the tub. All it takes is a bit of dampness to get underneath the liner and you will have rust growing behind it. Use a good quality primer/paint on the inside. I like Rustolium myself, there are others probably just as good. That way you can see any rust starting and can easily go after it.
And use a good rust preventer like Fluid Film or any of the Cosmoline products now available. Again, you will be able to confirm the rust protection and be proactive if any should start. The Cosmoline provides a much longer lasting presence than the FF that may need yearly recoating.