What tools do I need to remove my body lift?

LaneTJ

Supporting Member
What tools do I need to remove my body lift? My Jeep sits a little high and if I remove the body lift which is 2.5 inches I think I could put on 32’s. Hawaii is really doing me dirty with their laws and I have to redo my jeeps look because of it

It will be the opposite of this.

A ratchet, torque wrench, and 7/16", 1/2", and 1/4" sockets.

Remember to use anti-seize as well.

Reactions: skrelnik
What tools do I need to remove my body lift? My Jeep sits a little high and if I remove the body lift which is 2.5 inches I think I could put on 32’s. Hawaii is really doing me dirty with their laws and I have to redo my jeeps look because of it
I want to see pictures of this 2.5" body lift...

I’m overall worried about the Jeep. The trip over the pacific, undisclosed to me; was uncovered. My Jeep I’m afraid, is undeniably gonna be eaten alive by rust. But guess I’ll ride it out til it dies. Just want her to die beautiful.

You're also going to need a ratchet strap or 2. When I took mine off the body shifted and didnt sit down on the bolts squarely. I had to use the straps to pull it back into position.

Don't forget to loosen the gas filler neck too. Also just do one side at a time. You should loosen all the bolts, but just remove one side, finger tighten those bolts, then remove the other side.

Reactions: RobertJ
I’m overall worried about the Jeep. The trip over the pacific, undisclosed to me; was uncovered. My Jeep I’m afraid, is undeniably gonna be eaten alive by rust. But guess I’ll ride it out til it dies. Just want her to die beautiful.
I lived by the ocean for awhile, just rinse off all the salt when you take delivery. My Brother had cars shipped to and from HI when he was stationed there, no issues at all.

Before you lose the body lift altogether, check and see if any of the following items were installed:
  • Motor mount lift
  • Steering shaft riser
  • Tucked center skid
  • Tucked gas tank skid
  • Raised rear bumper
  • Aftermarket/larger steering box
  • Fan shroud modifications
  • Modified transfer case shift linkage
  • Modified transmission shifter (if manual)
  • Body lift gap guards
  • Frame modifications
  • Front or rear upper shock mount extension

This is not a comprehensive list, but if any of these exist they may need to be removed or modified before the body lift can be removed

Take a look at the wire harness at the back of the engine next to the firewall. To remove the body lift you have to raise the body and the wires may already be stretched tight.

You're also going to need a ratchet strap or 2. When I took mine off the body shifted and didnt sit down on the bolts squarely. I had to use the straps to pull it back into position.

A good way to avoid this is to do just one half of the bolts at a time. Loosen the other half but leave the bolts in, so the shift is much less likely to occur.

The easy way to avoid that problem is to always leave two body mount bolts loosely threaded in on the opposite side to where you're working. That keeps the tub in proper position on the frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaloStapalo