What type of insurance coverage do you run?

I have full coverage on my 2006 Rubicon due to what it would cost to be replace. At this point I haven't looked into how little my provider would pay but it's better than nothing. One of these days I'll find out what it would cost for a higher value.

Also everyone make sure you have BOTH uninsured AND underinsured motorist. Uninsured does absolutely nothing for you if they have state minimum and you end up needing more.

Reactions: taylormade73
I would have full coverage. I have it on every vehicle I own, as there are simply too many uninsured drivers out there for me to want to deal with the potential of some asshole hitting my vehicle and not being covered.

For the past couple of decades, every time I get into a fender bender, the other guy is like "I don't have any insurance, but I can get it fixed for you if you just don't call the cops". I've had the same insurance company for 25 years now and they've been very good when I need them. I keep full coverage on everything I drive. Paid for or not.

Reactions: Chris
Liability on both my truck and jeep, full coverage is too expensive in Georgia. They are both paid for and I can replace either if needed. I did carry full coverage in Idaho, but it was the same cost as liability is down here.

full, at least here collision is only adding like a $120/year. all the money is in liability...damn lawyers..sorry @Westtown Willy ..lol

ha, no worries, we are a troublesome lot

Also everyone make sure you have BOTH uninsured AND underinsured motorist. Uninsured does absolutely nothing for you if they have state minimum and you end up needing more.
word.png

USAA full coverage with 300,000/500,000 liability limits and a $1 million excess liability umbrella policy.

Testify!

While you're at it, max your PIP (med pay) limits then stack an EMB (extraordinary medical benefits) on top of that, my carrier allows a max 100k PIP & 1 million EMB. In PA the state required minimum is $5,000 which gets eaten up either at or shortly after leaving the ER. What many people don't understand is that in many cases after you exhaust your auto med pay you're on your own for medical bills. If you're lucky the responsible party will have more than enough to cover all your losses including excess medical bills but if not you're screwed in a lot of cases as that 3rd party recovery will get gobbled up by bills. Many people also believe that this won't impact them because they have health insurance & they'll pay the excess meds allowing the person to trot off into the sunset with their pain & suffering settlement or verdict. Yes, they'll pay your bills initially but the problem is more & more these carriers are asserting liens on the settlement & jumping ahead of the injured party for first shot at the settlement; they want 'their' money back. Every state's subrogation laws are different in that respect but some liens (ERISA based, Medicare, Medicaid, most often workers comp, most HMOs & others) override all states subrogation laws so it's getting tougher and tougher to shield a settlement from these liens. PIP/EMB is not lienable, at least as of yet, and if it is it's typically subordinate to the injured party's priority position to the 3rd party coverage.

I tell my clients all the time to buy all the (car) insurance their company will sell them, and then some, it's really important because as @JEEPCJTJ said of UM/UIM, you're fucked without it, that goes for all coverages.

Quick anecdote from a case I just settled a few weeks ago. This goes to the issue of low property damage limits. People again don't typically think it's important to have good coverage for damage to property they may cause. In my case, my client was driving a new car worth in excess of $100,000. The car was declared a total loss & even after all the depreciation & other bullshit the carriers work into their numbers the final value came in somewhere around $80,000. The guy that caused the accident had $10,000 in property damage coverage. My client's carrier ate the loss initially in a collision claim so my client was made whole but that carrier then interceded in my injury lawsuit & sued the same defendant for its subrogation claim, his carrier coughed up their limits leaving this poor bastard on the hook for the rest. And on the hook he is. Last I heard he's on a payment plan, it's like a small mortgage. So, space out for 3 seconds then look up just as you're crashing into a Lamborghini or even a more typical but very expensive car & you may find yourself in this exact position if you carry shitty limits.

Buy all you can, and then some.