What was that guy thinking?

bmcgc

TJ Enthusiast
I like a thread with the above title for people to post things that make little sense or are just outright dumb.

I will go first.

What was that guy thinking when he used 12-24 screws to attach the taillights to the tub? Pretty much one of the only size machine screws that a guy can't go to the local hardware store and buy.

I like a thread with the above title for people to post things that make little sense or are just outright dumb.

I will go first.

What was that guy thinking when he used 12-24 screws to attach the taillights to the tub? Pretty much one of the only size machine screws that a guy can't go to the local hardware store and buy.

the guy was thinking the purchaser would be smart enough to read

if the tail lights in question are the ones I'm thinking they are, read oh I don't know, the 27 page thread discussing these in detail, the product listing from the website you purchased the lights from..

if you read any of that using elementary reading comprehension skills, you'd understand that a guy made a product that can be installed on an unmolested jeep and subsequently gives an option for those of us who have altered the mounting area for the tail lights.

even it the tail lights in question aren't the ones I am referencing, the answer is simple: 12-24 is the thread of the stock mounting holes. it's been written about before, so do some research and read.

since it's clear you don't have any research or reading comprehension skills, you overlooked all of that and rather than inquiring about a solution that you already completely looked over, you decide to try to shit on someone by missing the point and shitting all over yourself with a fucktard thread highlighting the fact that you are exactly what you quoted in the first line:

I read his post to be talking about the guy at Jeep who used those screws for the taillights, not about any aftermarket light supplier. Don't think he's shitting on anybody, just starting conversation in general about automotive design decisions that don't always make sense to the end user. Something we've all done from time to time.

I can't remember the last time I had to buy 12-24 screws, so I can't comment on their availability. Which may in itself say something about how commonly they're used.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I read his post to be talking about the guy at Jeep who used those screws for the taillights, not about any aftermarket light supplier. Don't think he's shitting on anybody, just starting conversation in general about automotive design decisions that don't always make sense to the end user.

I can't remember the last time I had to buy 12-24 screws, so I can't comment on their availability. Which may in itself say something about how commonly they're used.

lmao I can see that now, coffee still hasn't kicked in and it's late in the day lmao.

I've got 12-24 hardware available at every hardware store near me so I guess there's a shortage on the east coast.

I will go first.

if you can't re-use the original screws, go to Home Depot, they have 12-24 hardware there.

nothing stopping you from changing up the hardware to a more common size for your use. you can use a type F thread cutting screw, drill and use a nutsert, or drill and use a washer and nut behind the body work.

Here's one...

Wtf were they thinking using external torx fasteners on the top of the bellhousing in the TJ? What a pain in the ass cheeks.

Reactions: JustDandee
None of the box stores, ACE or TSC has 12-24 in stock.

McMaster-Carr is a really great go-to if you ever can't find a fastener. Fast shipping, easy to use catalog, and rarely if ever has issues with counterfeit fasteners.

Fastenal is another good source, but they're not quite as hobbyist friendly. (They prefer large company orders.)

Reactions: CreepinDeth
I couldn‘t find any 12-24 screws in my area either a few years back. Lowes, ACE, Tractor supply and a couple smaller hardware stores. Had to order some off Amazon.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
They're pretty commonly used in domestically produced appliances. If you have any junk appliances lying around, you might get lucky. Most imported stuff will use metric fasteners, though

Here's one...

Wtf were they thinking using external torx fasteners on the top of the bellhousing in the TJ? What a pain in the ass cheeks.

They were thinking about assembly and not disassembly. For the same reason you think it sucks to remove them, they gotta install those bolts, and there isn't a better drive system for a blind installation than torx (either internal or external). When you're using an automated gun and its set to a specific torque and counts rotations, slip-offs matter and cause a WHOLE bunch of tom-foolery in the assembly process.

Reactions: Ocho
Home Depot in jonesboro has plenty of 12-24 round head stainless machine screws in stock

Small world. I used to own the house at 1411 S. Main, my Aunt lived at 1246 S Main, my parents lived on W Country Club Terrence till they passed. I sold the Main St house and bought a new construction house NE of ASU, then sold that house in 2010 when my wife took a job in Georgia.

Small world. I used to own the house at 1411 S. Main, my Aunt lived at 1246 S Main, my parents lived on W Country Club Terrence till they passed. I sold the Main St house and bought a new construction house NE of ASU, then sold that house in 2010 when my wife took a job in Georgia.

get your ass down there and reminisce while getting the hardware you need! :D

• Haha
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Heres another one, what was that guy thinking when he installed the rear mud flaps with 5/16 lag bolts?