What was your first car and in what year?

A 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport I inherited in 2005 with 140,000 miles. Still have it today, with ~257,000 miles and running strong.

A 1961 VW Bug in 1968 while in grade 11. At the time I thought it was relatively new. My newest car now is a 15 year old LJ and my oldest is a 31 year old MJ.

what do you guys think of this,? One of my vendors just bought it and had it shipped for from the midwest...super clean. Not my thing but he is a huge AMC/Eagle guy. I am fairly certain it was 4 wheel drive.
View attachment 122611
View attachment 122612
That's an Eagle Kammback, and is a rare bird, these days. Only a 2-year production run. That one is "klean"!!! (y)

1971 Dodge Duster with a 318ci V8. I loved it, but what a POS by today standards. This was in 1987.

Reactions: Squatch
My first car that I drove was a 1985 Monte Carlo LS. Bought for 750$ in 2002. It had the low output 305,and the Tranny was on its way out. Man it was slow but I drove it like it was a race car. I would get my @55 handed to be by V-6 stangs, and most of my friends econo crap boxes could give it a run for its money, but I loved it. It was painted "Yellow Gold" with house paint that looked like grey poupon (spare half gallon in the trunk for touch up painting), the head liner and door panel inserts were done in matching crushed velvet and it had 5% purple tint and purple neon inside. It had dual Flowmasters on it and was just loud enough to be obnoxious in the hands of a 16 year old. Transmission went out in the first week of owning it. Mom took it to Aamco and had it rebuilt (I had to pay for it) and warrantied... I grenaded 2 transmissions (lots of neutral drops and reverse burnouts) under warranty before they realized that mom was not the driver.

My best friend's Dad owned a Ford dealership in White Plains NY and he came up with a 66' Mustang with 47K on the clock for $710 in 72'. Loved the car but never realized how big a piece of shit that thing was until my later years.

I get a kick out of watching these Mustang restorations on TV when they start doing endless body repairs and they are blow away by the hidden damage. My floor boards were rusted away in the early 70's

My Dad's Orange 1974 Ford F100 Pickup Truck (Explorer package), automatic 302 V8. man I loved that truck. Got rear ended by a young girl going 60mph on a rainy day while sitting at a standstill at a red light. Thought I got hit by lightening..seriously. Bright light (my head snapping through the back window and seeing the sky for a split second, then kissing the steering wheel (lap belts). Wasn't a fun day at all.

Turned around and bought my first vehicle myself: 1989 Mazda B2200 pickup truck. Loved that truck even more. Sold it for $4,400 with 189,000mi on it and bought my TJ.

95 Jeep Wrangler yj. 2.5l and no floors due to rust

36DA3D77-D1A5-49F0-B5AF-A54665808AB3.jpeg

My 1st set of wheels was in 1973, bought a 1967 Impala SS convertible 396 for $400.Drove it for 2yrs and then bought a 1970 Chevelle SS 396..for $1200 in 75. Fun cars wish I had them both..

Reactions: Squatch
1967 Camaro With a 327 and a Powerglide. I did just about everything worth doing for the first time in that car.
Here's high school graduation night in 1985.

20190107_120546.jpg

Turned around and bought my first vehicle myself: 1989 Mazda B2200 pickup truck. Loved that truck even more. Sold it for $4,400 with 189,000mi on it and bought my TJ.

I had an 1988 Mazda B2200 5 spd manual as a 3rd car. My wife drove it in college and I bought it from my father in law for $1. It had 87,000 miles on it because my mother in law drove it back and forth to work 2 miles a day before my wife started driving it. He had it tarped sitting out under a tree for 5 years due to mechanical issues. I put on a new windshield, front main bearing seal, clutch, new brakes and front calipers, shocks, a new Webber carb, sanded and painted the roof and bumpers, stopped cleaned and sealed the rust on it, added a head lights on buzzer, etc., etc. I went to the junk yard looking for door handle parts one day and found a wrecked 2200 with a cracked frame and 4 brand new wider tires that still had the nubs on them. I got those for the price of the rims, $15 each. I cleaned the rims up and painted them black with a silver stripe on the edge.

I used it for several years to haul dirt and bricks or house supplies as I updated our yard or worked on the house. Then sold it to a really happy college student with <100,000 miles on it and recouped all of my parts, registration, insurance, and gas money. The engine was rated at 85 hp at 4500 rpm and 110 ft-lbs at 2500 rpm. Before I changed the emissons carb, you could tell when the AC was on or off. It got the same mileage of 20 mpg city and 20 mpg highway as I used it to commute to a project 50 miles away daily for a couple months.

Reactions: jeepins
My first car was a 1973 Jeep Commando bought in 1981. It needed some work and I hadn’t yet learned to turn a wrench but I had a great time with her. Seemed like we had a lot of blizzards back then and I loved getting out in the snow with her.
I always loved the bullnose Commando. Drove a V8 (304) powered one for the summer, one year. Great rigs!

Reactions: RussTJ