What was your first vehicle?

1979 Subaru. No, it was not the Brat. I wish it was the Brat! LOL. I don’t even know what model it was, but it looked like a turd. The only good thing is it would go 117mph. Don’t ask me how I know. Once when I was in 9th grade I was cruisin’ the main drag, I wasn’t paying attention and bumped the Suzuki Sidekick in front of me. When the girl got out it was the Homecoming Queen! That’s one way to meet hot chicks. Not saying I would advise it, as it could piss them off. Fortunately it didn’t and we became friends after that.

First car I bought was a 1987 Mustang LX. 4 banger, but fun, nice Enkei wheels and a nice stereo system, I kept the yard watered by washing that thing every other day!

Love this question. The first vehicle I bought, a 1952 M38. We crossed the creek, only the snorkel, exhaust and our shoulders out of the water. Sold it within a year and bought a TransAm.... big mistake. Took 20 years to buy a Wrangler.
:D :D
2016-01-04_22-55-55.jpg

My first car was a 1973 Gran Torino Sport. Just like Clint Eastwood had in the movie except it was dark blue. 351 Cleveland, air shocks in the rear, and an 8 track. Built like a tank but ran pretty good in a straight line. Friend had a 73 Nova SS and we were pretty even. A few times I got turned down when I challenged somebody to a race. Turns out there was one identical to mine (even had the same mags) with a built 460 running around town. Gas was forty-some cents a gallon!

My first vehicle is my 2004 wrangler. Happy I waited and saved a bit longer to get my favorite vehicle vs something I'd hate and not care about.

Living in a decent sized city I was able to get around without a car perfectly fine using buses and bikes until I went off to college.
And no my fiancée what I met in high school didn't care I didn't have a car ;)

My first car was a 1980 AMC Eagle. 258 straight six with auto four wheel drive. Got it free from a friend of the family. And I beat that thing and it never stopped till I spun out in the snow and ran it backwards into a tree. I consider it my first Jeep.
(Looked like a more thrashed version of the attached picture)

That car was surprisingly Good off road. My grandma had the deluxe edition wagon with the wood siding. It was posh inside- like the grand wagonneer of the day. I would take her wagon mudding all the time. It was a beast

Reactions: sgtjdgelinas
First car I bought was a 1969 Camaro SS, big dent in the driver's side rear quarter, paint was faded, but it had a "lightly" massaged 350, Quadrajet spreadbore 4 barrel, Muncie M22 rockcrusher 4 speed, paid $675.00 for it in 1977, put a lot of sweat equity in it, had it painted. Alot of good times in that Sold it many years later and I'm still kicking myself. The young guy that bought it wrecked it 6 weeks later, then sold it to one of his neighbors that still owns it. This is what it looks like now, it is very well taken care of.
69CamaroSS.jpg

A '52 Studebaker pick-up. Paid $10 for it. Mowed a guys yard to get a radiator for it (why he had a Studebaker radiator, I'll never know). Actually paid more for the repair manual than I did for the truck! Have owned over 300 cars since then. I affectionately refer to myself as an "automotive slut" (I'll drive anything!) :D

This is a cool thread. Depends on our age but cool veh's all told. My very first veh, I was a junior in high school (1975) and paid $50 for a '56 Ford panel truck. It was a plumbing company truck (ugly paint job) with only the drivers seat. Thought I made out selling it a year and half later for $125. Shit what a mistake now.

This is a cool thread. Depends on our age but cool veh's all told. My very first veh, I was a junior in high school (1975) and paid $50 for a '56 Ford panel truck. It was a plumbing company truck (ugly paint job) with only the drivers seat. Thought I made out selling it a year and half later for $125. Shit what a mistake now.

Oh, if only we'd known then what we know now. I sold my '60 Pontiac Bonneville convertible for $1000...my '56 Ford 2-door hardtop for $1000, after driving it from Washington state to New York...my 383 Magnum powered 4-spd convertible Dodge Dart for $900...well, you get the idea. Dang, I can't believe some of the stuff I virtually gave away!

Oh, if only we'd known then what we know now. I sold my '60 Pontiac Bonneville convertible for $1000...my '56 Ford 2-door hardtop for $1000, after driving it from Washington state to New York...my 383 Magnum powered 4-spd convertible Dodge Dart for $900...well, you get the idea. Dang, I can't believe some of the stuff I virtually gave away!

Seems like we have a lot in common. I can't remember exact $ I sold for, but lost money on most: 65 Chevy Impala 2dr 327 v8 pwrglide, 67 Ford Bronco 289 V8 paid too much for it, lots of mech issues but should have stayed with it, 69 Ford Fairlane 390 V8 4 speed stick... Geez got to keep my new to me Jeep TJ. All of the veh I just mentioned have the common "just empty every pocket" theme. Life throws us curve balls tho so never know.

Seems like we have a lot in common. I can't remember exact $ I sold for, but lost money on most: 65 Chevy Impala 2dr 327 v8 pwrglide, 67 Ford Bronco 289 V8 paid too much for it, lots of mech issues but should have stayed with it, 69 Ford Fairlane 390 V8 4 speed stick... Geez got to keep my new to me Jeep TJ. All of the veh I just mentioned have the common "just empty every pocket" theme. Life throws us curve balls tho so never know.

You're preaching to the choir, my brother! :) I sold a '68 Camaro with 64,000 miles on it because it had a dent in the driver's quarter panel...$600. Guy couldn't get the money outta his wallet fast enough. That's when I knew I'd screwed up. Sheesh! Traded a Rambler Marlin for a '69 Mach I, which I then sold to a guy in high school for $200. Why? I just didn't want a Ford anymore. Someone should've kicked my inner child's little arse!

Last edited:
1965 Ford Mustang w/ 289 v8, in 1990. Loved that 'Stang, but wish I would have been more mechanically inclined back then to do my own work on here. This pic was from '92 just shortly after graduating High School. Mom and Dad bought me new leaf springs and shocks and when the car sat level again, the starter was shimmed and ate into the flywheel on the transmission. Long story short, my Uncle drove it back to PA to do some trans work. Fell asleep behind the wheel after one or two many brews after a double shift in the mill and wrapped it around a telephone pole. Alls I have left is the grill pony, still hanging in my garage today.

17098088_10208686557136448_5200102048235402566_o.jpg

Reactions: brown_mule