What Would You Do? Bad Rear Diff - 1999 TJ Sport - Dana 35 - 3.07

HaydukeLives!

Supporting Member
What would you do if you had a 1999 TJ Sport with a bad rear Dana 35?

Ring and Pinion, bearings, and seals need replaced.

Has 199K miles but runs great otherwise. Owned since new.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've got one out of my 2001 with 3.07 gears that you can have. It's got about 148K on it. I think it's all OK, at least its the axle I was driving on before I replaced it with a Dana 44. Sadly, it's out here in Indiana. Shipping would probably take the shiny off of free in short order though...

Is it stock and staying that way?

Lifted?

V8 swap?

Income level?

Will likely begin putting a decent complete 3" lift on this Jeep.

It's only at 2.5" with springs and shocks now.

Doubt I'll ever V8 swap it.

Plenty of disposable income but also own another 2 or 3 other recreational vehicles that require routine maintenance and modifications.

I'll start getting more serious about sourcing a Dana 44 or other axle locally. I've looked a couple dozen times in the past month but haven't seen anything.

Thanks for all the replies.

Reactions: Rickyd

Plenty of disposable income but also own another 2 or 3 other recreational vehicles that require routine maintenance and modifications.

I'll start getting more serious about sourcing a Dana 44 or other axle locally. I've looked a couple dozen times in the past month but haven't seen anything.

Ideally find a front and rear axle with a better gear ratio for your final tire size.

Reactions: Rickyd

Definitely need both axles regeared from 3.07 if you are on larger tires and a lift. 4.10 axles would be great for smaller than 33's but possibly need gone through. Super 35 kit would be a great way to get a rear locker during a regear too,I'd rather have that than an old Dana 44 without a locker

Reactions: BlueC and GPK03X
Perfect time to swap in a whole new rear.
That's what Amber Rose thought too. 🤫

2AB540D300000578-3168806-image-a-137_1437430622758.jpg

Definitely need both axles regeared from 3.07 if you are on larger tires and a lift. 4.10 axles would be great for smaller than 33's but possibly need gone through. Super 35 kit would be a great way to get a rear locker during a regear too,I'd rather have that than an old Dana 44 without a locker

Sorry I'm not providing complete information when soliciting advice. I have ownership experience but not the mechanical experience that this group has.

This Jeep is on cheap old 32" mud tires right now. 33" would be the biggest I would ever go. (Never say "never" though, right?)

I am confused...as people can probably tell. (There are probably some good memes for that statement.)

With a Super 35, is re-gearing possible? I thought it would require new carriers in the 3.54 range,etc. ?? I'm fine beefing up the old Dana 35 but would definitely benefit from a re-gear, probably more so than an overall stronger rear diff/axle set-up like a Dana 44. I don't rock crawl but I do go to some stupid remote places for mountain biking, camping, and mushroom hunting.

Thanks again.

Sorry I'm not providing complete information when soliciting advice. I have ownership experience but not the mechanical experience that this group has.

This Jeep is on cheap old 32" mud tires right now. 33" would be the biggest I would ever go. (Never say "never" though, right?)

I am confused...as people can probably tell. (There are probably some good memes for that statement.)

With a Super 35, is re-gearing possible? I thought it would require new carriers in the 3.54 range,etc. ?? I'm fine beefing up the old Dana 35 but would definitely benefit from a re-gear, probably more so than an overall stronger rear diff/axle set-up like a Dana 44. I don't rock crawl but I do go to some stupid remote places for mountain biking, camping, and mushroom hunting.

Thanks again.

Super 35 comes with the new carrier in the form of an elocker,arb or detroit.yes you would want to regear at the same time.just one locker will make a huge difference if you ever get stuck.and selectibles have no on road downside.

3.07 just blows.worse mileage,harder on the clutch and low range that is way too fast.

It was barely ok with stock tires. Dana 44 is cool,but you are spending money on the housing and axleshafts you could spend towards addressing the real issue- those 3.07s!

A Dana 44 and a regear/repair will be more than a regeared,locked,rebuilt Dana 35 that is ready for 35" tires.

There are always exceptions if you're lucky. I found two low mileage rubicon 44s for less than upgrasing my 3.07s when the Dana 35 blew a shaft jumping it on 33s.

I had the equipment and knowledge to strip and sandblast them and weld on new brackets to the totally rotten new york axles from a wreck though.

rubicon axles have their downsides too.rubicon lockers are weak and new parts to fix them are unavailable.

Sounds like 33s are your next step.4.56 would be a good choice