What would you do?

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
Jeep owner has a problem with his rig. A shop has really screwed up a very important part of his rig that could lead to serious loss of the rig and damage to the occupants if their mistake failed at speed and it will fail, just a matter of time if left uncorrected, so a serious problem.

The solution is to swap out some parts, good used versions are readily available and I have a good serviceable set so I offer them up for what I have in them.

Gent agrees to take them, later has some misgivings and requests pictures of the parts before I ship. At that point, I decline the offer of parts and tell him to source them elsewhere.

I don't have time to dig through a pile of parts, dig out a set that I would use myself, take and send pictures, and mess with the rest. If I go to the pile, and dig out the parts and make sure they are good, I'm already spending time on something that I won't get back. There is a significant investment in the parts. I've paid a fair bit for the pile and I'm not going to get it back so spending more time than is absolutely necessary is out of the question.

Owner gets a bit butthurt at his point so I explain a few things to him that he may have overlooked.
My reputation online and elsewhere depends on me treating folks fairly.
My integrity won't allow me to send him anything that won't work or that I wouldn't use myself. (barring stuff sent with a full explanation as to what was wrong that they agreed to beforehand)
I haven't asked for payment up front. I offered to send first and get paid upon inspection and arrival.
He calms down a bit and accepts the offer to receive, inspect, and pay by sending funds to the PayPal address I've now included twice.

I get the excuse that he has been busy, then I get the excuse that my PayPal address is invalid. (not true)
At this point nearly a month has gone by and I'm through being patient and request that he pay me.
It doesn't happen. I tell him that if he doesn't get after it, I'm going public with the situation and the reply is along the lines that I am childish, petty, and doing so will make me look like an ass.

Well, lets see who is the ass.

1. I do agree with the gent when it comes to requesting pictures as I would do the same when buying something used of someone whom I have never met. (Not sure if you have any prior relationship if the person knows you or is an existing customer)

2. Not knowing what the part is I can't make a good judgement here but if the part is large and expensive to ship I wouldn't want to be responsible to fork over the return shipping cost if the part does not meet my needs after inspection. Time is money and I get that but maybe sending the pictures you would have avoided this headache now.

3. Since he accepted your deal with inspecting it first then pay and now he won't pay or return the part this person is a douche-bag and I don't blame you one bit for doing what you need to do to either get paid or get part returned.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
In my generation growing up a man's word was good as gold. Someone told you they were going to something.... it would get done. I leased a 3,200 acre ranch for 15 years on just a handshake with the owner. It sure sounds like you are the same way. It's a shame now days how people just screw other people over and don't think twice about it. It was a great and caring thing you did and a crying shame this guy screwed you over. Don't let him change the way you are. Sounds like you have exhausted all avenues to get your money from him. I mean what a great thing on your part to send him the things he needs without getting paid first to see if he approves of the parts.
I would say go public with it and explain it just like you did here.
Whish there were more guys like you in this world. Good luck!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and StG58
Your in a bit of a tough spot...has this person told you that the parts work or fit ok, and is now blowing you off? Cause thats f'd up man!

1. I do agree with the gent when it comes to requesting pictures as I would do the same when buying something used of someone whom I have never met. (Not sure if you have any prior relationship if the person knows you or is an existing customer)
He agreed first to me sending the parts without payment upfront and then requested pictures at a later point. At that point, I'm not going to invest any more time in something that I'm already not going to break even on and told him to source the parts elsewhere.

2. Not knowing what the part is I can't make a good judgement here but if the part is large and expensive to ship I wouldn't want to be responsible to fork over the return shipping cost if the part does not meet my needs after inspection. Time is money and I get that but maybe sending the pictures you would have avoided this headache now.[/question]
I could have avoided this entire mess by simply keeping my mouth shut and not offering to solve his problem. The parts aren't large, they fit in a large flat rate box and the money isn't large either, less than a hundred bucks but the fact that I have to chase it and wait for it and then be called an ass and a weirdo when I requested to be paid or else is the part than rankles a bit.

3. Since he accepted your deal with inspecting it first then pay and now he won't pay or return the part this person is a douche-bag and I don't blame you one bit for doing what you need to do to either get paid or get part returned.
Honestly, I know my chances of getting paid are about 50/50 and I knew that going in because I've sent parts to help folks out at least 60 times over the years and even when I request that they just pay postage, that only happens about 1/2 the time. It isn't about the money, it is about honoring your obligation in a timely manner and treating folks how they treat you.

I also didn't request the part back. I told him if they did not meet his requirements, throw them away. (they were as good as you will find used so I know only an idiot would toss them)

Reactions: JeepNWilly
In my generation growing up a man's word was good as gold. Someone told you they were going to something.... it would get done. I leased a 3,200 acre ranch for 15 years on just a handshake with the owner. It sure sounds like you are the same way. It's a shame now days how people just screw other people over and don't think twice about it. It was a great and caring thing you did and a crying shame this guy screwed you over. Don't let him change the way you are. Sounds like you have exhausted all avenues to get your money from him. I mean what a great thing on your part to send him the things he needs without getting paid first to see if he approves of the parts.
I would say go public with it and explain it just like you did here.
Whish there were more guys like you in this world. Good luck!
A man's word is his bond. If you can't do what you say, then get in touch before there is an issue and get it squared away, otherwise, do what you say you will do or don't say it.

I don't mind the screwing over part, I expect it. What I mind is the name calling.

Your in a bit of a tough spot...has this person told you that the parts work or fit ok, and is now blowing you off? Cause thats f'd up man!
He could attempt to say they won't work but I know better. I picked out a set that I would use on any of my own vehicles including my wife's rig. I know how the internet works. If I sent him subpar parts and he posted up what I did, I'd look like a jerk and I work very hard at not letting that happen. That's why I make sure every part we sell is something I would use myself and in most cases if there is a question, I put the part in the "internal use" pile and won't send it to a customer. Some parts have a cosmetic defect and it is easier to just keep it than try to convince someone that the defect won't affect function. It's all about time, the less of it I spend getting something into someone's hands, the better off I am.

I also didn't request the part back. I told him if they did not meet his requirements, throw them away. (they were as good as you will find used so I know only an idiot would toss them)

Ah in that case I maintain that he is a douche-bag I posted above and revoke my 1. and 2. points. It really sucks that there are people out there who don't appreciate it when someone is trying to help.

A man's word is his bond. If you can't do what you say, then get in touch before there is an issue and get it squared away, otherwise, do what you say you will do or don't say it.

I don't mind the screwing over part, I expect it. What I mind is the name calling.
Then he calls you names on top of it??
I take it that he is some distance away. I see by your last name that your not Italian... so no connections with "Guido" to collect your money.

I'd understand the pic request if you were asking to be paid before shipping the items, but with the conditions that you gave him, he should not have worried about what the parts were like until they arrived to him

If he thought they were in useable condition, then he should have paid you right away. Giving you excuses and making you wait is an ass move on his part. He's the one looking childish and petty, and he's doing a good job of making himself look like an ass.

I truly hope you get this resolved quickly, and get paid.

I'd understand the pic request if you were asking to be paid before shipping the items, but with the conditions that you gave him, he should not have worried about what the parts were like until they arrived to him

If he thought they were in useable condition, then he should have paid you right away. Giving you excuses and making you wait is an ass move on his part. He's the one looking childish and petty, and he's doing a good job of making himself look like an ass.

I truly hope you get this resolved quickly, and get paid.
I don't sell used parts. I have a large collection of parts that I keep around to help me solve problems when I build rigs for folks. Occasionally I will help someone in need with a used part or parts because I perceive a need and typically no other reason. In this case, I happen to have a lot of these parts I paid money for to build a product that I no longer need the parts for since I changed how the product is being done. Since I purchased them, I need to get back what I have in them if possible.

I also need to clarify a bit since I sent parts to two folks on here and the one with the XJ needs to know this isn't about him.

Reactions: derekmac
Then he calls you names on top of it??
I take it that he is some distance away. I see by your last name that your not Italian... so no connections with "Guido" to collect your money.
The distance doesn't bother me, actually the main part that bothers me is the name calling and to a lesser degree that I might actually screw anyone over.

Reactions: Chris
The distance doesn't bother me, actually the main part that bothers me is the name calling and to a lesser degree that I might actually screw anyone over.
If this person is willing to screw you over, and resort to name calling, then maybe it's in the forums best interest if we know who it is. You did a good deed, and are being made out as the bad guy, and that's not right.

Though I guess if you do call him out, you might stand an even lesser chance of getting your money. :( With any luck, he'll realize he's in the wrong, and will straighten everything out.

Reactions: StG58