What would you offer?

Picked 'em up yesterday for the $200 price for the pair. Great shape, with stock mirrors. I did some online searching, could not find them for less than $300/door...

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
:icon_popcorn:
That sure is a great deal!!.....but sure would like to see them. This thread is worthless without pics

Your patience is being rewarded:
IMG_0269[1].JPG
IMG_0270[1].JPG
IMG_0271[1].JPG

The other one looks exactly the same only the other way around...:cool:

Not bad for $200, huh? I'm still debating on what to do with them. I couldn't pass up the deal, and I would like to use them next summer, but mr. cheapo doesn't want to shell out the $$ to have them painted bright silver, but he's arguing with mr. perfection who doesn't like anything that doesn't look oem on his TJ...anyone have an idea what a paint shop might charge for painting something like these?

I think if I ran across someone with this color blue TJ I might be tempted to attempt a sale...

Thank you soooooo much for the picture! Wow!! They are in great shape! You got a killer deal! Have you priced any paint shops yet? Have friends.... or friends that are friends that know someone that paints? I have a feeling a body shop is going to charge a lot, but doesn't hurt to check and give you an idea.

Thank you soooooo much for the picture! Wow!! They are in great shape! You got a killer deal! Have you priced any paint shops yet? Have friends.... or friends that are friends that know someone that paints? I have a feeling a body shop is going to charge a lot, but doesn't hurt to check and give you an idea.
There's a paint shop I went to in 2013 who fixed my Tacoma 4x4 when I managed to slide off the road into a ditch coming back from Moab in January...they did an excellent job, and didn't charge an arm and a leg, so I plan to take these over there one of these days for a quote. I will see if there's any prep I can do myself, so they just will need to shoot with paint and clear coat.

He wasn't one of those high end shops, but a guy who was recommended by a friend who has used him for project cars he sells as a side business.

There's a paint shop I went to in 2013 who fixed my Tacoma 4x4 when I managed to slide off the road into a ditch coming back from Moab in January...they did an excellent job, and didn't charge an arm and a leg, so I plan to take these over there one of these days for a quote. I will see if there's any prep I can do myself, so they just will need to shoot with paint and clear coat.

He wasn't one of those high end shops, but a guy who was recommended by a friend who has uses him for project cars he sells as a side business.
Great idea! And since you have been there before.... might get a better deal.

Find a buddy who knows how to paint and do body work would be your cheapest bet. Body shop would charge $600-$800 to paint those if you were to just hand them the doors. There's more to it than just taking the door panels off if you want a factory like finish. Paint and primer alone is $150-$200.

Well, now I am at a crossroads...I finally got off my butt to get started on the half door paint job. Spent about an hour removing the inside door panel, mirror, lock cylinder, outside handle, retaining strap loop, and weather stripping from the channel around the door. At that point I got inspired to check CL for paint & body shops to get one more estimate:

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/aos/d/auto-paint-and-body-repair/6607087451.html

The last one said $450, I buy the paint. I have no idea how much that would be, I need a quart each of the paint code matching bright silver and clear coat. $450 seemed way too high to me.

So today I took the doors over to the CL listed shop, guy was very nice and seemed to know his stuff. He said $250 to paint the doors, and again, I buy the paint. Both shops said to get the paint from the local NAPA paint supplier, they mix it on site to match your paint code.

What's the consensus? Is $250 a reasonable labor cost? He said it would be done over 3 days to get it done right.

I had almost convinced myself to rattle can color match and clear coat, I just want it done well, and auto painting is not something I have done any of.

Also, these are for summer only, I will run the full doors most of the year. I value any feedback on which would be the best course of action. Bumpers I can paint, but doors seem daunting to me. I don't really have a good place to paint these in, either.

The other factor is I only paid $200 for these with the mirrors...

Well, now I am at a crossroads...I finally got off my butt to get started on the half door paint job. Spent about an hour removing the inside door panel, mirror, lock cylinder, outside handle, retaining strap loop, and weather stripping from the channel around the door. At that point I got inspired to check CL for paint & body shops to get one more estimate:

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/aos/d/auto-paint-and-body-repair/6607087451.html

The last one said $450, I buy the paint. I have no idea how much that would be, I need a quart each of the paint code matching bright silver and clear coat. $450 seemed way too high to me.

So today I took the doors over to the CL listed shop, guy was very nice and seemed to know his stuff. He said $250 to paint the doors, and again, I buy the paint. Both shops said to get the paint from the local NAPA paint supplier, they mix it on site to match your paint code.

What's the consensus? Is $250 a reasonable labor cost? He said it would be done over 3 days to get it done right.

I had almost convinced myself to rattle can color match and clear coat, I just want it done well, and auto painting is not something I have done any of.

Also, these are for summer only, I will run the full doors most of the year. I value any feedback on which would be the best course of action. Bumpers I can paint, but doors seem daunting to me. I don't really have a good place to paint these in, either.

The other factor is I only paid $200 for these with the mirrors...
$250 sounds reasonable. Not sure how much a quart of primer and topcoat will be, but $90 would be an upper limit

I say pay the $250 and have them painted. They will look alot nicer with a professional paint job....and I'm sure you'll be happier. Like you said....you only paid $200 for the doors with mirrors.