Whats everyones tow rig?

Jeepasaki

TJ Travis
Supporting Member
Looking to buy a Tow Rig for around $25k wondering what everybody used. I live in California but have residence in Kentucky so smog isnt an issue. Finally gonna transition from daily driver to rock crawling monster and I need something to take my TJ home after I've broken parts on the trail haha.

• Haha
Reactions: alittleoff
A Chevy or GMC 3/4 ton diesel if you are pulling long distance or often. Better fuel economy and power to spare.

Yea i really dig those LBZ's but the only thing that throws me off about the Chevy's is that IFS with the weird torsion bar design. Not a huge fan. You get a smoother ride but I've heard alot of issues out of it.

I've been using my 2500 4x4 Dodge diesel for years to tow my Jeep and other things.
IMG_20190807_095049305_HDR.jpg

Reactions: tworley
I use a 2017 ram eco diesel. 23mpg combined city/highway and 15mpg while towing. I paid 37k for it 2 years ago.
20190315_172219.jpg

I use a 2017 ram eco diesel. 23mpg combined city/highway and 15mpg while towing. I paid 37k for it 2 years ago. View attachment 113351
Have you had any issues out of the new Eco Diesel? I havent heard much about it good or bad. I've heard a ton about the colorado duramax but im curious the reliability of the EcoDiesel. My dad drove a 2017 with the 5.7 and i loved the power output of that Hemi but the gas mileage was OOF

Reactions: qslim
I tow with my '16 Silverado 1500 with the max tow package. I went back and forth with diesels but couldn't justify the additional cost for the 4-5 realistic times a year I trailer the jeep. Loaded up on the car carrier I'm at about 7500 with everything. It's not the fastest up a grade but that's alright, it pulls stable and without any drama.

Have you had any issues out of the new Eco Diesel? I havent heard much about it good or bad. I've heard a ton about the colorado duramax but im curious the reliability of the EcoDiesel. My dad drove a 2017 with the 5.7 and i loved the power output of that Hemi but the gas mileage was OOF
The first 11k (8 months or so) I kept getting a CEL for turbo exhaust temp. It needed a software update but since RAM was in trouble with the EPA at the time it took a while to roll out. After I got the software updated I have gone 23k with no issues.

I used the truck to tow the jeep from Northern California to Moab early this year and it performed great. I cruised around 75-80 the whole way (outside of CA) only slowing to around 65-70 for 1 hill. I was telling the wife before we left I was probably going to regret not buying a 2500 but I was pleasantly surprised with how the truck did.

Nothing quite as fancy here. 99 Suburban with 3:73's and the 5.7L. Cost $3k with 161k miles on it a year ago. It is sufficient for the time being.

In two years I should have some other debt cleared up and hope to upgrade to something newer in the 3/4 ton department.

trucktrailer.jpg

Reactions: Alex01
Nothing quite as fancy here. 99 Suburban with 3:73's and the 5.7L. Cost $3k with 161k miles on it a year ago. It is sufficient for the time being.

In two years I should have some other debt cleared up and hope to upgrade to something newer in the 3/4 ton department.

View attachment 113368
I love it! I think suburbans are super cool and very underrated. Its really hard to beat a chevy gasser. Especially for $3k!

View attachment 113368

I like my 99 a lot. It will go 750 miles on a tank of gas. I told my wife on a trip from middle Tennessee to Delores Colorado that we only have to stop one time for gas. I never checked mileage pulling a trailer, but it seems to not take a big hit with car and trailer. The 5.7 is torquey motor.

the TJ of course

the work truck

DSC_0072.jpeg

the pickup truck

trlr 017.jpg

the RV

DSCN1497.jpeg

three different wheel/tire combinations there too.
the last one, 7.50R16s are the smoothest running tires ever on a TJ.

I like my 99 a lot. It will go 750 miles on a tank of gas. I told my wife on a trip from middle Tennessee to Delores Colorado that we only have to stop one time for gas. I never checked mileage pulling a trailer, but it seems to not take a big hit with car and trailer. The 5.7 is a torquey motor.
I remember as a kid when my dad was concerned when it cost him more than $50 to fill up our 1999 suburban's 42-gallon gas tank. Times have changed a bit. That truck had to be one of the most comfortable road trip vehicles I've ever been in. You can sit in those seats all day without getting uncomfortable.

No pics yet but I'll be using a 2012 F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Plenty of engine but I'm curious to see how it tows. With a 16' trailer the weight shouldn't be too much. Truck is rated up to 10k.

I love it! I think suburbans are super cool and very underrated. Its really hard to beat a chevy gasser. Especially for $3k!

I agree. The 350 has been around long enough parts are easy to come by and fairly easy to work on.

I remember as a kid when my dad was concerned when it cost him more than $50 to fill up our 1999 suburban's 42-gallon gas tank. Times have changed a bit. That truck had to be one of the most comfortable road trip vehicles I've ever been in. You can sit in those seats all day without getting uncomfortable.

I wish that was still the case. I've had the pump shut off more than once before the tank was full. Luckily I do not drive it every day.

I like my 99 a lot. It will go 750 miles on a tank of gas. I told my wife on a trip from middle Tennessee to Delores Colorado that we only have to stop one time for gas. I never checked mileage pulling a trailer, but it seems to not take a big hit with car and trailer. The 5.7 is torquey motor.

750 miles is impressive! I have not really calculated mileage while towing either mainly because I'd rather not know.