What's going on here? Is this a sheared bolt?

ARawls88

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Got as far as I can with the suspension until some more parts come in. So I moved to installing the body lift and this is when I noticed this...

what exactly is going on here? If I look up inside ?pipe? I can see what looks to be a sheared bolt.

9B94514D-7F0F-477D-818F-7680E0077AEF.jpeg

I see nothing but a black recess. Did you stick anything in there to determine if it's empty or blocked a little ways in by a snapped off bolt?
image.jpg
This is what it looks like. I can’t run my finger in far enough to tell, but I sure as heck can’t budge whatever is jammed up in there either

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Any clue as to what is in there? Looks like a piece of pipe honestly.
The body mount is a tube with a mushroom top formed on it that fits up into the recessed area in the torque box. The bolt goes through the tubular section you are sticking your finger into and up into the torque box. The bolt has rusted in place and then the lower half has been twisted off.

Reactions: DETOUR and ARawls88
I
The body mount is a tube with a mushroom top formed on it that fits up into the recessed area in the torque box. The bolt goes through the tubular section you are sticking your finger into and up into the torque box. The bolt has rusted in place and then the lower half has been twisted off.
believe you are correct on that. After taking one completely off and looking at it, that has to be what has happened. Btw @mrblaine your JJ washers are a lifesaver!

Reactions: mrblaine