What's making this sound?

Thunder Mass

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Starting at 0:25; it's a bit loud.

Once I heard the sound, I stopped moving, but it didn't go away. I revved it to see what happened, and it sped up. I ended up just putting it back in gear and continuing on, whether or not that was the right thing to do. Could something be hitting my fan? Dunno what else it could be.

Being that the sound started when your wheel dipped to a certain distance and the sound's clanks per minute (I forget the term) increased as you gassed it, means it's pertaining to the engine. You might be correct with something hitting your radiator fan. Maybe a suspension/steering component (likely from driver's side)?

Now this is information from a guy who's new to Jeeps but not exactly new to working on cars. So, just my $0.02

Being that the sound started when your wheel dipped to a certain distance and the sound's clanks per minute (I forget the term) increased as you gassed it, means it's pertaining to the engine. You might be correct with something hitting your radiator fan. Maybe a suspension/steering component (likely from driver's side)?

Now this is information from a guy who's new to Jeeps but not exactly new to working on cars. So, just my $0.02

Right, I figured it couldn't be anything from my transmission tcase, 'cuz it was either in neutral or I had the clutch in; or out, whatever, my foot was on it. And yeah, it sped up when I revved it. Not sure why it only came at the last dip and not the others. I'd go try it again, but, everything is closed up here.

Yeah, that's the fan touching something just a bit. Hopefully just the plastic shroud and not the radiator. I see a flat skid plate and body lift. My 97 was set up that way and did the same thing when I got it twisted up in just a certain way. Get in there with your flashlight and see if you can find some marks left by the fan. Hopefully all you'll need to do is adjust the shroud a bit.

Yep, 1.25" body lift, 1" motor mount lift, and a tummy tuck. I'll go check it out, thanks. Hopefully it isn't the radiator. Is the shroud easy to adjust?

Both the body and the engine have been lifted 1" so, theoretically, it should be mounted in the stock location. But maybe the body lift didn't come out to be exactly 1" and/or the motor mounts are slight more than 1" so it just might need a bit of nudging one way or the other or a bit of a trim near the fan. The shroud is plastic, so modifying it should be pretty straight forward.

Both the body and the engine have been lifted 1" so, theoretically, it should be mounted in the stock location

True until you add the TT. The TT raises the back end of the TC which lowers the fan. It's probably hitting on the bottom of the fan shroud.

You need to slot the mounting holes in the fan shroud to relocate it and regain the fan clearance you lost.

True until you add the TT. The TT raises the back end of the TC which lowers the fan. It's probably hitting on the bottom of the fan shroud.

You need to slot the mounting holes in the fan shroud to relocate it and regain the fan clearance you lost.

Not sure what you mean by "slot", but I'll take a look.

Not sure what you mean by "slot", but I'll take a look.

It means turn the round/circular holes in the shroud into oval, vertical slots so you can adjust the vertical position of the fan shroud. There are multiple tummy tuck threads that all mention doing this.

It means turn the round/circular holes in the shroud into oval, vertical slots so you can adjust the vertical position of the fan shroud. There are multiple tummy tuck threads that all mention doing this.

Ah, that makes sense! Weird, either I never noticed the discussion of the shroud, or, I totally forgot. Thanks.