What's the best best trail welder?

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I am planning on buying a trail welder for the Jeep since I believe at least one person in a group should have one.

I have borrowed and used this one in the past and it worked great.

http://readywelder.com/
Is there a different brand I should be considering?

Reactions: Trailking
I've had the opportunity to watch a RW in action. It did ok with two 12v. batteries but when a third was added (the spare I brought from home), it did even better. The thing is, is there 4 vehicles in your group to possibly jump start each other?
I got the PPW in my own TJ and have used it on my own junk and have been on the trail or in camp to weld other peoples boo boos. It's a high frequency welder and it lays down a great bead @ 55 watts when the engine RPM is stepped up to achieve the 55 watts.
I've used the 120v. outlet to power single speed drills, angle grinders, blenders, a coffee maker and even a small microwave oven.
In battery charger mode, it will charge a dead 12v. to full juice in about 5 minutes at just above idle.
It was donated and installed at PPW in Yucca Valley, CA.
I made my own welding cables and battery charging cables.
And as mechanical things go, I've sent it back once to have bearings replaced, which I payed for and something that fried inside that was replaced free of charge. I also purchased a spare voltage reg. just to have in the tool box.

I've had the opportunity to watch a RW in action. It did ok with two 12v. batteries but when a third was added (the spare I brought from home), it did even better. The thing is, is there 4 vehicles in your group to possibly jump start each other?
I got the PPW in my own TJ and have used it on my own junk and have been on the trail or in camp to weld other peoples boo boos. It's a high frequency welder and it lays down a great bead @ 55 watts when the engine RPM is stepped up to achieve the 55 watts.
I've used the 120v. outlet to power single speed drills, angle grinders, blenders, a coffee maker and even a small microwave oven.
In battery charger mode, it will charge a dead 12v. to full juice in about 5 minutes at just above idle.
It was donated and installed at PPW in Yucca Valley, CA.
I made my own welding cables and battery charging cables.
And as mechanical things go, I've sent it back once to have bearings replaced, which I payed for and something that fried inside that was replaced free of charge. I also purchased a spare voltage reg. just to have in the tool box.

I am not familiar the Premier power welder type? Do those replace your OEM alternator with a more powerful one and use that to weld?

I am not familiar the Premier power welder type? Do those replace your OEM alternator with a more powerful one and use that to weld?
Yes. It's a 195 Amp. Serp. drive pulley.
Detailed and simple instructions plus a owner/user manual. For which I use every time as to not fubar it.
FWIW, there is another co. that makes their version of this and IIRC it only welds. But for the life of me, I can't remember their name.... ICRS
Their website in the link provided by @Plumber1 has all the info and thanks No.1.