What's the best strategy for selling wheels and tires?

rasband

Dickhead 🍆
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I’ve never sold take off wheels/tires. What’s the best strategy, selling the set of 5 as complete sets or should I break up the wheels and tires to sell independent? What are the things prospective buyers will want me to include in the ad?

This is the 16” moab wheel and 295/75r16 KO2 with only a few thousand in them - if that makes a difference.

My hope is to fund a decent bit of the swap to new wheels (15”) and 35s.

Reactions: L J
When I do my next set I figure I’ll just advertise what I have as a set and see what happens. That’s how I sold the original JK wheels and tires that came on mine.

I need to sell the spider trax spacers sometime.

Reactions: rasband
I’ve never sold take off wheels/tires. What’s the best strategy, selling the set of 5 as complete sets or should I break up the wheels and tires to sell independent? What are the things prospective buyers will want me to include in the ad?

This is the 16” moab wheel and 295/75r16 KO2 with only a few thousand in them - if that makes a difference.

My hope is to fund a decent bit of the swap to new wheels (15”) and 35s.

When I look on market place for tires or wheels I look for 5, I might settle for 4 if the price is right, any less I don’t even read the add.

As a set list them here first because you're a nice guy, just give it a week or two for the locals and then put them on FB marketplace. Craigslist if FB fails but get ready for the nonsense.

Edit: For the add make sure to put KJ, XJ and all the other Jeeps that run these wheels, I don't know the specifics but I do know they are popular on other Jeeps.

Sell as a set and if you put it on CL add a bunch of pics and be sure to include all details you can. Basically be overly honest and in the end it will save you a lot of time with the folks that ask a million questions and never show up.

Craigslist sucks, nobody uses it anymore so write that option off. Put them on Facebook Marketplace with about 3-4 pictures. Show the entire set of 5, a picture of the tread depth of at least one tire and any damage they may have. Sell all 5 together, don’t separate unless absolutely necessary. Price? I’d put them at either $1,200 or $1,000 and be willing to take no less than $800/$900. Most importantly, clean them up before you take pictures of them.. nobody wants to buy a set of filthy wheels/tires.

I’ve sold multiple sets of tires over the years on Facebook and other places. They always sell reasonably fast and without any issues. Also, make the buyer come to you! Nothing worse than lugging 5 tires/wheels around for somebody that ends up not wanting them 🤦🏻‍♂️

sucks cause you can chase away potential buyers but add 20% ....everybody wants/expects a deal.
don't give up your address until they confirm they are ready to come over...NOW.
assume they only read the 1st line of your add and have no idea what they are about the see.
be ready for 500 dumb ass questions like will those fit my 75 ford, and can you mount them for me.........how about 100$ less and you deliver, i'm only 3hrs away.

make you wanna reach through and smack an idiot.

I’m on the fence of whether I want to keep my Moabs or not, to stay with the Jeep. I have 15” wheels and 33s going on next week.

Lot of good advice above. I’ve bought and sold a few sets on FB marketplace. For tread depth use a gauge and show pics. It will be tempting but don’t accept a low ball cash offer the first day you put up the listing.

got some guy supposed to come by this morn for some wheels.
he's been textin me all wk to be sure they are still here. last night he asked about a meeting, i had to refuse i'm not loading 9, 35" wheels, and he better have a pick-up or trailer..............his answer was 9?.................... been a wk almost...........did you not read the F'n ad? (5 on rims and 4 loose does = 9 right?). i coulda given him 5 for that $, and sent him on his way.

Posting ads is often frustrating since you are all right, no one reads past the headline. I’ll often include links to the original post on the manufacturer site, and still you get questions that are all answered!

It’s part of why I like using this site to sell, most folks here are pretty well researched with what they want and know when they see it to ask targeted and useful questions.

had a lot of luck with FB marketplace. messages are instant and 90% of perspective buyers are local.
CL is a PITA, dealing through emails, nobody checks regularly.

Limited options but I like the MTRs
20200705_091926.jpg

California ain't exactly know for low prices on Jeep parts and there is a set going for $50 north of where I am. Been up for three weeks and hasn't sold. I wouldn't plan on getting allot for them unless they are perfect, honestly the tires are probably worth more if they are close to new, maybe by a large margin.

Specify the lug pattern in BOTH Freedom units (ie 5x4.5) and commie metric units (5x114.3). I know when I look for any wheels I just type in lug size and find what I want. I have also sold plenty of wheels and other parts and idiots wear you down to being spiteful. You get the “will it fit xxx” and I just say “you can find out for the right price” Sold some SN95 replica Cobra wheels to a guy that I guess wanted to put them on a Honda even after I said that. No idea if it worked.

Can I ask how you like the 295/75/16 and what size lift you are running. I was leaning heavily towards this wheel setup.