What's the biggest wheel and tire I can fit on a stock TJ?

reason2000

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition that has the original stock rims and tires on it. What is the largest size tire and rim I can purchase for it with out modifying the lift or suspension? Being stuck at home trying to look online for some options. Thank you!

You won’t want to go bigger than a 31” tire on a stock TJ with no lift.

15” or 17” wheels are the ideal sizes.

Reactions: Fonz54
Agree with the above. 31x10.5 max. You want 15x8 or 17x8 wheels with no more than 5 inches of backspacing. The less backspacing, the more the tires will stick out.

16x8 can also work, but there are fewer choices of tire size to go with. The largest factory size offered on the TJ was a 245/75R16 on a 16x8 rim with 5 inches of backspacing. This is roughly a 30.5x9.5 tire. The extended Rubicon flares can cover the tread of this and similar tires.

If you put a small spacer lift, say about 1-1.5", it would give you a little extra room to run 31s without costing you much at all. If you keep it low enough, perhaps around 1", you might be able to keep the stock shock absorbers. If you're willing to replace the shocks you could easily add a 2 inch spacer lift.

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition that has the original stock rims and tires on it. What is the largest size tire and rim I can purchase for it with out modifying the lift or suspension? Being stuck at home trying to look online for some options. Thank you!
Stick with stock Jeep wheels if you can. Search for some other stock wheels if you don't like yours. I really like Ravines and Eccos but your Sahara wheels are probably great. There's nothing wrong with painting them so they look better. 31s and 15" stock rims are the way to go. I wouldn't do anything else, other than 32s, which don't fit.

I am also running 31x10.5x15 on Ravine rims. Never had any issues running stock height. I installed a body lift a week or so ago but have not had her out for test run since I am waiting on replacements for my 1" MML mounts that had an issue.

Would there be any rubbing at full lock with an A/T as opposed to an M/T? With 31x10.5R15?
You could check tirerack for the tire specs but it just depends on the exact tire. Some run large and some run small regardless of tread pattern. The rubbing people talk about is nothing to worry about, it is a very minor thing.

It works in any condition? It s a rubicon or a Sahara? Thank you!

All TJs can run 30s without a problem. Depending on the wheels you use, and depending upon whether they are aggressive tires with some tread on the top of the sidewall, you may experience a little bit of rubbing at ful turn. I have this with my 30" KO2s on stock "Ravine" wheels on a SE (4-cylinder) TJ. But it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it.

Generally, the rule of thumb is that 31s are also ok on a stock suspension. But again, depending upon your choice of wheel and tire, you may experience some rubbing.

The only way to know for sure that your choice of tire and wheel are going to work out is to do what's call cycling your suspension. Take of the springs and raise each side of the axle to full articulation, and see whether your tires are hitting the fender flares or the inside of your fenders, etc.

1714000479837.png

It works in any condition? It s a rubicon or a Sahara? Thank you!

Welcome

Keep in mind this site leans towards doing things right.
A larger tire may fit, but you would have to increase the amount of bumpstop to maintain clearances.
This will reduce the amount of travel and articulation making the Jeep less capable.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper

That’s my Jeep the day I found it. Where did you get that pic Boog?

The grill guard on the left is on my 05 F250. The wreath on the telephone pole with 3 candles is what they put up in Fredericksburg around Christmas time. I bought my Jeep Dec 22, 2016. The white building to the far right is Crenwelge dealership. They sold Jeep’s among other make’s. Those 31” MTR’s were my intro to off-roading.

Was going to chime in with my experience on this, but then I saw this is a 4 year old thread....haha.

Then I thought....I'm a newbie here also, and seeing this for the first time, and could still help someone out, so I'll chime in anyway.

I have 31's on stock ravine rims. I put JK front springs on and a 3/4" "leveling lift" puck. I had to adjust the steering stop slightly. If I go over a heavy turn compressing the suspension, I still get a little rub. I just live with it. 31's on my LJ are really stable in the corners while street driving.

That’s my Jeep the day I found it. Where did you get that pic Boog?

The grill guard on the left is on my 05 F250. The wreath on the telephone pole with 3 candles is what they put up in Fredericksburg around Christmas time. I bought my Jeep Dec 22, 2016. The white building to the far right is Crenwelge dealership. They sold Jeep’s among other make’s. Those 31” MTR’s were my intro to off-roading.

I found it from an old thread on running 31s without a lift. (y)

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/31s-without-lift.8747/

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and MikekiM