What's the condition of your paint?

Do you use a foam gun in your detailing side job? I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a foam gun, and if it would work better at cleaning the jeep.
I use a foam gun for my detail, but I do not rub or wash it. I rinse with hi pressure water and then foam it with a hi pressure foam gun and let it soak for a few minutes depending on how hot it is outside then I rinse, this gets the big stuff off then I hand wash the top of the Jeep then rinse and hand wash the sides, then I do the wheels and tires. keeping the jeep wet, then I hand dry and wax.

Good times!

I use a foam gun for my detail, but I do not rub or wash it. I rinse with hi pressure water and then foam it with a hi pressure foam gun and let it soak for a few minutes depending on how hot it is outside then I rinse, this gets the big stuff off then I hand wash the top of the Jeep then rinse and hand wash the sides, then I do the wheels and tires. keeping the jeep wet, then I hand dry and wax.

Good times!

Good thing you don't have water restrictions in your area, lol!

Reactions: ac_
I have learned not to use my pressure washer liberally on my Jeep. It can be kind if destructive, so I use the "gentle shower" setting on my garden gose nozzle mostly, and occasionally the higher concentrated "stream" to get the crap out of my frame and inside of my bumper (that setting isn't that destructive though). Even then, I mostly use just the hose without th fancy nozzle to clean out those areas!

Good thing you don't have water restrictions in your area, lol!
I use less water than you think, but we don't have any restrictions. Actually thinking about it, I don't get charged any extra for water, and I have a swimming pool. I mean I did the one year I drained an cleaned my pool, but other than that I only use my allotted amount, Remember I don't have a lawn to water. I use that water to keep my Jeep detailed.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Yes and no. You can clay bar at any time, it removes anything stuck on the surface. It does not remove any product on the paint. I use it after cut to make it easier on me, and in a resto you want to use it before any product build back happens. So yes you could start with it but the cut part of the process is going to remove a lot of what the clay bar would be making the job then easier for the clay bar and more importantly the user.

I'll have to check out his videos, I watched from where you had it marked and that is good info. The key to what I think he is leading to is get it right then have enough product on it to take the abuse so you don't have to work so hard to "Buff it out"

This is the first time I have ever heard this.. clay bar comes first to remove the small debris on your paint that a wash cannot. Otherwise if you don’t and start compounding/polishing you basically take that small debris and spread it all over your paint with a buffer and make things worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine who really does a great job on his black Camaro pointed me to this guy on YoutTube: Junkman 2000

He walks through the whole novice polishing process, and has a few other series on washing / detailing that are pretty good. Now I just need time and enough nice weather to try out his techniques.
Watched the first video. Refreshing to watch something on YouTube for a change where 1) it Is actually informative; 2) you don't get sick from the camera being held in one hand while trying to video record what's going on, mostly unsuccessfully; 3) they don't stand between you and the item being recorded; and 4) they don't need to throw in the f-bomb every other sentence.

I look forward to checking out the rest.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
My 99 has 89K on it. I’m getting some peeling of my clear coat on my hood with some general light brush scratching on the sides. I am not one for shining my Jeep. I’m contemplating switching to something like monstaling so I do not have worry about scratches ever again.