What's your MPG with large tires and re-gearing?

In some states and areas the government is controlling smoking in restaurants.

I think the difference between your right to pollute with your car or not comes down to the fact that you're using a shared maintained road where rules apply. It's like how you can't legally purchase an old Willy's new anymore due to pollutants, yet you can buy the Mahindra UTV version.
I appreciate your post.

Like billiebob's, this is another red herring. The original issue wasn't pollution, the issue was how high I can rev my engine, rpm's (and freedom to do so). I understand there are state highway speed limits and other laws to protect people. The original discussion was not discussing those laws. As far as rpm's are concerned, if I'm driving my Jeep under the posted speed limit and running 4,500 rpms, that is not against any law I know of, nor should it be IMHO. The laws themselves can be emended or updated, but that's a matter of due course through the legislature or governing body of one's state or nation.

Reactions: tworley
I appreciate your post.

Like billiebob's, this is another red herring. The original issue wasn't pollution, the issue was how high I can rev my engine, rpm's (and freedom to do so). I understand there are state highway speed limits and other laws to protect people. The original discussion was not discussing those laws. As far as rpm's are concerned, if I'm driving my Jeep under the posted speed limit and running 4,500 rpms, that is not against any law I know of, nor should it be IMHO. The laws themselves can be emended or updated, but that's a matter of due course through the legislature or governing body of one's state or nation.

Not arguing, and I think most Jeep owners due to the nature of Jeeps probably care a little less about emissions and revs. I jumped in on this thread at the end and didn't read all 3 pages so excuse my post if it was off topic.

Reactions: JMT
Not arguing, and I think most Jeep owners due to the nature of Jeeps probably care a little less about emissions and revs. I jumped in on this thread at the end and didn't read all 3 pages so excuse my post if it was off topic.
Oh, I'm probably just being an a--, please excuse me, and carry on with all that really nice work on your build. So impressive....I can only dream of doing any of the fab work you've done.

It’s not like smoking in a restaurant. The restaurant is a private business.
Different countries, up here you cannot smoke in public places, including outdoor restaurant patios, or within 10 feet of a business entrance, or inside a government vehicle. In Yellowknife my staff got tickets for smoking in the drywall shed. Literally no walls, just a roof.

Almost every municipality has a no idle bylaw. Some cars now have an engine shut down when you press on the brakes. And expect clutches to disappear completely too. Fact is, manufacturers can meet Emissions and CAFE Standards easier with computer controlled shifting.

Different countries, up here you cannot smoke in public places, including outdoor restaurant patios, or within 10 feet of a business entrance, or inside a government vehicle. In Yellowknife my staff got tickets for smoking in the drywall shed. Literally no walls, just a roof.

Almost every municipality has a no idle bylaw. Some cars now have an engine shut down when you press on the brakes. And expect clutches to disappear completely too. Fact is, manufacturers can meet Emissions and CAFE Standards easier with computer controlled shifting.

Why is a drywall shed have no walls if it's literally in the name? The US doesn't let you smoke in the back of police cars either... something about having your hands behind your back and the risk of fire if the dooby falls on the seat.

Reactions: lindsey97
I've been checking my mileage pretty close and with 4.0, 3 speed auto, 4.56 gears, 33" tires I get 12-13 mpg and it doesn't make much difference if I'm driving real easy around town (13.5mpg) or going 65 on the interstate (12.5mpg). The interstate driving is worse than around town since it's turning 3250rpm's at 65mph and I pretty much keep it right there on the interstate and just deal with the 18wheelers coming up my azz and trying to go around me then pull back in front of me.....not ideal situation to me, I'd rather stay in front of them and be the one doing the going around.

Rather than start a new thread, I’ll just dig this one up and revive it.

35”x12.50x17” BFG KM 2’s W/24 PSI
4.5” lift
5.38’s
NV3550
Safari top, trail half doors
Mixed driving mostly around town

F50A4B3F-5045-46D9-8872-2A1EE6F96E81.jpeg

I just got 16-17 loaded down with a few hundred pounds of luggage/tools/beach things. 240 miles, took a little bit over 14.5gal, 16.55mpg.

4.0/5spd, 35’s @ 25psi with 4.88’s, Rampage frameless top and full doors. All of this was highway driving between 60-70mph for the 300mi trip home.

33’s, 4.56, 4.25” lift, 6-speed, mix of highway and city driving. 12-13 range is common

89B29918-4774-43A2-AEEC-E2030DDEE208.png

Reactions: KCsTJ and DrDmoney
^ Digging your gas prices @JMT
Indiana raised gas taxes last year and Illinois this July 1. $2.80/ Indiana $3/ Illinois

Reactions: DrDmoney
4.0/42RLE
33's w/255/75R17 spare
Standard load (Backseat/soft-top)
Avg RPM: ~2600 @70MPH
13.6MPG: mainly highway miles, I only have one fill up where I've checked. I didn't care about MPG in my "toy" jeep. I have to fill up today, results will be updated.

My 05 Ruby with 6 speed, 4:10s and 33's is only getting about 10 mpg with no top. But I tend to drive it more like a sports car, with rev-matching, heel toe shifting (my wife laughs at how I use three pedals at the same time) and the like. I've had it about two months, and I'm going to have to drive more calmly, or get the motorcycle fixed and start riding to work.

My 05 Ruby with 6 speed, 4:10s and 33's is only getting about 10 mpg with no top. But I tend to drive it more like a sports car, with rev-matching, heel toe shifting (my wife laughs at how I use three pedals at the same time) and the like. I've had it about two months, and I'm going to have to drive more calmly, or get the motorcycle fixed and start riding to work.
You'd also get better mpg by regearing your axles to produce an engine rpm more appropriate to 33" tires.

Reactions: DrDmoney
My calculator says 13+-1 depending on wind direction.
i6
35x12.5x15 MT/Rs
4 inch springs + 1.25 body
NV3550

Reactions: DrDmoney and KCsTJ