Wheel and tire question

Fallin22

I am completely ignorant with the whole tire/wheel/lift stuff. I am pretty sure my factory wheels on my 98 wrangler are 15x8. If I went with a 31 or 31" tire after a 3 inch body lift will I need to buy new wheels or will these fit on my stock wheels? I am pretty sure my stock goodyear wrangler tires will look bad with a 3 inch lift wouldn't it? Thanks friend!

Your stock wheels are 15". If you went with a 31" tire it would fit fine, but it might be a little tight without a lift.

However, DO NOT do a 3" body lift. It's generally pretty much agreed upon that 1" is the max you should do for a body lift. If you want to lift anymore than that, you need to do a suspension lift to do it properly.

Chris, thanks so much for your help. Would a 31 inch tire do well on my stock rims with a 1 inch body lift? I only want the tires and lift for looks as I only drive on the highway. I prefer to keep the driving and handling closest to factory as possible

Chris, thanks so much for your help. Would a 31 inch tire do well on my stock rims with a 1 inch body lift? I only want the tires and lift for looks as I only drive on the highway. I prefer to keep the driving and handling closest to factory as possible

You'll be more than fine with a 31" tore on a 1" body lift, with the stock wheels. No question about it! It won't affect handling in a negative way either.

You'll be more than fine with a 31" tore on a 1" body lift, with the stock wheels. No question about it! It won't affect handling in a negative way either.
Will my stock tires look fine with the 1" lift? Sorry for all the questions, my dilemma is I just put new gy wranglers on it but want it with a little lift but hate to lose money on the tires

Will my stock tires look fine with the 1" lift? Sorry for all the questions, my dilemma is I just put new gy wranglers on it but want it with a little lift but hate to lose money on the tires

31's look great on a stock jeep, or a jeep with a 1" body lift or a jeep with a 2" suspension lift. Any lift larger than 2" I'd probably move up one tire size. 31's and 3 inches of lift don't look as good in my opinion.

Stock TJ with 31's
1132_6.jpg

Reactions: Travis

Oh yeah, they'll look just fine with 1" of lift.

Love that color!

Me too. This blue and the deep water blue (2008 JK) are the two best blues jeep has used on their wranglers. I just wish this jeep was mine. I posted it to show the difference between a stock TJ with 31's and a 2" lifted jeep with 31's for the original poster. There's a car dealership in Illinois called highland motors Chicago where I got the photos from (sold inventory). They do a really good job photographing wranglers.

Me too. This blue and the deep water blue (2008 JK) are the two best blues jeep has used on their wranglers. I just wish this jeep was mine. I posted it to show the difference between a stock TJ with 31's and a 2" lifted jeep with 31's for the original poster. There's a car dealership in Illinois called highland motors Chicago where I got the photos from (sold inventory). They do a really good job photographing wranglers.
I know Highland Motors, been there plenty of times. This was long before I was interested in Jeep's. They always had a nice inventory of used and new Toyota cars. My sister is a Toyota girl, she has probably owned 10 in her life. Most of them bought from Highland.

I know Highland Motors, been there plenty of times. This was long before I was interested in Jeep's. They always had a nice inventory of used and new Toyota cars. My sister is a Toyota girl, she has probably owned 10 in her life. Most of them bought from Highland.

I don't know where they get their inventory from but they've sold quite a few TJ's in great condition. I've never been there myself. I did however bid on a TJ they were selling on Ebay which is how I heard of them.

Hi guys. I have a similar issue and would like to hear your opinion on 32*11.5 on 15 inch rims. I bought my 06 tj already modified. 2" ARB suspension lift on it. The wheels are stock 5 spoke Jeep wheels. Tires are 31*10.5 Bridgestone duelers but they need changing. I would like a little bigger. So 2 questions:

1-would there be too much rubbing(if any). I am not hardcore offroader. Some occasional mudding. I am 70% onroad.

2- what is the width of these rims? 7? 7.5? Or 8? Would 32*11.5s fit on these if they are less than 8? If fits, would they look like balloons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys. I have a similar issue and would like to hear your opinion on 32*11.5 on 15 inch rims. I bought my 06 tj already modified. 2" ARB suspension lift on it. The wheels are stock 5 spoke Jeep wheels. Tires are 31*10.5 Bridgestone duelers but they need changing. I would like a little bigger. So 2 questions:

1-would there be too much rubbing(if any). I am not hardcore offroader. Some occasional mudding. I am 70% onroad.

2- what is the width of these rims? 7? 7.5? Or 8? Would 32*11.5s fit on these if they are less than 8? If fits, would they look like balloons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your stock wheels should be 8" wide. In addition to that, a 32" by 11.5" tire should fit on them nicely, and look perfect, without being ballooned at all.

2" of lift will clear the 32" tires just fine. You may encounter a little rubbing on full turn, but it will be minimal at best.

With 32" and 2" of lift you will be just fine, even for some occasional off-roading, as long as you have your bump stop set correctly.

For looks purpose only and no off-roading do you guys recommend a 2 inch body lift or suspension lift?