Wheel backspacing for a 10" wheel?

fljeeper

TJ Enthusiast
I know this may have been asked before, but after doing an advanced search and spending a lot of time sorting without finding what I need. I dare ask it again. I am going to install a set of 33 x 12.5 x 15 Geolander G003 (according to the manufacture the actual width is 13"). What back spacing or offset should I have on a 10 inch rim?

Thanks,

Dan

The common wisdom for 33x12.50 and 35x12.50 tires on 8" rims is between 3.75" and 4.5", with the majority of TJ/LJ owners weighing in on the subject preferring 3.75" or 4", no more than 4.25".

In my experience, the same backspacing parameters work with 33x12.50 and 35x12.50 on 10" rims, but with slightly less concern that 4.25" or 4.5" might be too much.

Every rig is slightly different and every rig is used differently. 4.25" and 4.5" of backspacing might work on one rig but not another. In the end one has to try it to know for sure.

If I were in your position I would want a wheel with no more than 4" backspacing, particularly with a set of tires with specifications showing a section width a bit wider than the norm for that size. If I couldn't find one I would try 3.75". I would not try wheels with 4.5" backspacing because the odds of needing a spacer to make them work is too great.

Reactions: Chris
With a 10" rim you could go closer to the 4.5" BS. With an 8" rim, closer to the 4" BS.

But why not go with an 8" rim?
Which is pretty standard in the Jeep world for any tire size.

. . . why not go with an 8" rim?
Which is pretty standard in the Jeep world for any tire size.

I have recently been shopping wheels and tires for 15", 16" and 17" wheels.

My observation is that TJ's, XJ's, YJ's and CJ's with the 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 lug pattern have been out of production so long that the industry focus is now primarily on 5x5 wheels that work with the JK and JL jeeps and 17" wheels in particular. My prediction is that tire and wheel availability for jeeps in the 15" size will diminish, as will 16" choices, with future tire and wheel development for jeeps focused on the 17" size.

My needs are different that the typical TJ/LJ owner because I am converting to manual hubs with the Yukon kit that requires conversion to the 5 x 5.5 CJ lug pattern and will be installing the Vanco 16" Big Brake Kit recommended by @mrblaine for my LJ which precludes the use of 15" wheels. Therefore I have focused my attention on 16" and 17" wheels with that lug pattern and haven't paid as much attention to wheels with the TJ 5x4.5 pattern or 15" wheels. Therefore, my observations may be a bit skewed.

In my search for aftermarket 17" real or imitation beadlock wheels the most common wheel width for wheels that will fit my rig seems to be 9". Therefore, if I were purchasing wheels and tires today I would most likely choose a 315//70R17 tire on 17x9 wheels. Of course that presents another issue because most wheels that size have a 5" backspace suitable for JK's and JL's but not TJ's or LJ's. I have yet to find a 17x9 wheel I like or can afford with appropriate backspacing for my LJ, but I'm sure its out there and I just haven't found it yet.

In any event, in addition to 8" and 10" wheels our original poster might consider 9" wide wheels as well.