Wheel Balancing: Clip-on Weights vs. Stick-on Weights

I personally have always had rim weights but I have had several friends that have had the the peel 'n stick type weights and have seen them fail in probably 3 out of 4 instances; leaving either half of the foam sticky bit or nothing at all on the wheel (the weights are always MIA). Perhaps the technology on the foam backing has improved but, me, I'd stick (pun intended) with the tried-and-true clamp-on rim weights.

I've thrown clip-on weights, allot of them. Never had a problem with stick-on. If you throw stick-on weight the shop didn't clean the wheel correctly. Adhesive or foam on the wheel is normal if you've had tires balanced a few times because it isn't easy to get the adhesive off. You used to have to ask for stick-on but most good shops use them now. I'd only consider the clip-on style for a steel wheel.

For a grocery getter or mall crawler the clip ons are fine assuming they work with the wheels. For even a very mild wheeler the clip ons are no bueno because they are easily moved or scrubbed off.

Reactions: JMT
I don't see how a stick on weight could fail, assuming they were applied properly. The forces from a tire rotating would push the weight onto the rim harder, which would make the adhesive more effective.

Clip on weights, however, are susceptible to foreign objects moving them, or possibly loosening them, turning them into projectiles the next time you hit the highway.

I prefer adhered weights for all the reasons mentioned from previous posters above. Also, as another poster mentioned ~ they’re most often used on steel wheels. But even then, Id go w stick-on’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve read that you can get a better balance using clip on since you can put them on the inner and outer rim, unlike adhesive.

However, I don’t like the look of clip on, and as some mentioned, they would rip right off when wheelin. You should see my rim! LOL

I wouldn’t worry about losing adhesive weights. Check the balance every once in awhile. Discount does mine for free

I purchased 4 wheels from 4 wheel parts. For some reason the weights came off one of them

DDB941A2-2464-4DB2-BFF8-9874F38707FA.jpeg

I've used those low profile stick-on tire weights when static balancing tires and pre-cleaning the area of grease and road grime is a must for proper adhesion. I've had no problem but I can see where the higher profile stick-on weights might get in the way when off-roading.?

Heard from Jeepers that use beads when going with 37’s or bigger and beadlocks. They report that in fact it work. If I ever go bigger than 33’s, I wouldn’t hesitate to give them a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run nothing but stick-on weights. It's been probably 15 years since one came off. I've had clip on weights fall off too.

Stick on weights on depend on the person installing them. I grew up in my uncles service station doing tires. If you dont clean and degrease the area they arent going to stick. And alot of shops dont dynamic balance with stick ons. Hell youre lucky if they even put them on straight.

Reactions: Chris
I run balance beads (37” beadlocks) and can run 80mph with zero vibes. Without beadlocks, I think stick on weights are best. Seems like the most common option these days.

Reactions: Hook_62
I have always found that the clip on weights provide a better balance because you can have more weight in a smaller area then you could stick on weights depending on the amount of weight needed. But if the Tech is even somewhat decent you should have a solid balance every time no matter if you use just clip on, just stick on, or a mix between the two. With larger tires if you want them to use stick on weights they may have to static balance your wheel based upon the amounts of weights needed or the style of the wheel.