Wheel Color

bmcgc

TJ Enthusiast
After way more prep time than I anticipated, I am close to putting color on my Ravine wheels.

My plan was oem silver, Rustoleum Steel is nearly a perfect match.

I ran across a pic of a Golden Eagle and really like the gold wheels, so now I am thinking a tan or gold color.

If I go with gold, then I want the hardtop to match, so that's another project.

What do you think, silver or gold on a white TJ?

golden Eagle.jpg

My TJ originally had a tan soft top. One of the PO's installed the black hardtop.

I ordered a set of oem style steps to replace the bars and the Hotwheels look is going as soon as the wheels are painted.

Lifted.jpg

Nice on the photochop. It gets Africa hot here, I like the lighter top vs the black top.

I like the gold wheels like the Golden Eagle, but they have a machined/raw lip. I don't think I would care for them solid gold.

I went to school with a girl that had a white Sahara with Moabs and a tan top. It looked really good.

I bought Duplicolor Copper wheel paint.

I really like the color but the fan spray nozzle is not going to work. I can't get paint into the recess for the lug nut.

I am going to return the second can and go with Rustolem Gold instead.

Bronze.jpg

Last edited:
Crunch time.

Is this bronze color over the top for my white Sahara?

Thus far, I am into each wheel about 10 hours of prep.

Do I stay with the bronze or go silver or gray?

I like the bronze, I just don't want people asking when I am going to add the angry eyes grill................

Once the clear goes on, it is staying.

Bronze.jpg

I kinda dig it. If it was me, I'd take the lip back down to the aluminum before the clear, but I still think they look good. Especially if you repaint the top brown.

Reactions: Weasellee
I kinda dig it. If it was me, I'd take the lip back down to the aluminum before the clear, but I still think they look good. Especially if you repaint the top brown.

I considered doing that. I would put jack stands under the axle and mount the rim and sand the paint off while it is spinning.

If you are careful, you don't lose a finger.

• Haha
Reactions: 97TJNM
That "bronze" isn't much for my taste.

It's possible it looks more vibrant in pictures vs in person, but to me that looks more along the lines of ORANGE than it does bronze.

Then again, it's not MY Jeep.
Not my place to say what looks good to you vs what doesnt!

Roll with your gut!

Crunch time.

Is this bronze color over the top for my white Sahara?

Thus far, I am into each wheel about 10 hours of prep.

Do I stay with the bronze or go silver or gray?

I like the bronze, I just don't want people asking when I am going to add the angry eyes grill................

Once the clear goes on, it is staying.

View attachment 499906

The copper is too much. Bronze is subtler and looks great on white. As you mentioned, something resembling the wheel color on a Golden Eagle. Like this…

IMG_2674.jpeg

Is the bronze wheel in the second picture a different color than the copper painted wheel in the first picture? Whatever the answer is, it doesn't really matter because the best way to fix either of them would be a light mist of green spray paint with various random small areas painted kinda thick. It's called it patina and a lot of people love it.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 072551.png

As a UT grad my wife likes Savage Orange and it somewhat matches the spare tire cover.

I asked her opinion and she wants to keep the copper.

After raising 3 kids, attending college for 12 years and working 35 years, if she wants them pink and chartreuse, that's what I would paint them.,

When the copper wears out on me, I will move on to something different. My vehicles are rarely done, when they are, I get bored and sell them.

She retires May 2025, I am thinking that I will buy her a new-ish JL as a retirement gift and take the TJ for a project for myself.

Reactions: JMT and bbaldwin237
Is the bronze wheel in the second picture a different color than the copper painted wheel in the first picture? Whatever the answer is, it doesn't really matter because the best way to fix either of them would be a light mist of green spray paint with various random small areas painted kinda thick. It's called it patina and a lot of people love it.

View attachment 499953

Patina and rat rods are popular because it doesn't require a lot of surface prep and hides poor surface prep.