Wheel Spacing/Gap

rookieTJ

Supporting Member
Hey Everyone, recently after having differential bearings replaced and getting howling noise repaired, the shop owner pointed out that the Jeep was missing some sort of spacer? If you look at the photos I have attached, he explained to me that the wheels on the Jeep are aftermarket and the wrong size and that they are solely sitting on the studs where they should be sitting on the axle hub. He told me there should be some sort of spacer or ring that sits on the hub that allows the wheel to sit on and properly secure. He continued to go on saying it was dangerous to drive how it is, because if a stud where to break off the wheel wouldn't be supported etc etc etc. The wheels were on the Jeep when I bought it, they didn't look aftermarket, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any idea what spacer/adapter/ring he may be talking about? He couldn't show me what he meant as he said you need to do some research to figure out which ones.

The spacers I think about when someone says spacers are these, https://www.extremeterrain.com/redr...4dOZLIPeVrazHPrZxtRoCY3EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Which usually stick your wheel out farther, which I don't want.

Thanks in advance

IMG_4353.jpg

Once the lug nuts are tight, it is the lug nuts that locate the wheel on the hub.

Are you running factory or aftermarket wheels? Factory wheels are designed to be hub centric, but most aftermarket wheels are designed to be hub centric.

If you're running aftermarket wheels, it's probably not that big of a deal.

If you're concerned, you can get hub centric wheel spacers from Spidertrax:
http://www.spidertrax.com/1987-06-Wrangler-1984-01-Cherokee-2002-Up-Liberty?sc=2&category=9998
Those are the spacers I run. They are hub centric at both the axle and the wheel, and are designed to fit stock wheels. (If you want to get the hub centric advantage on aftermarket wheels, you would also need a hub ring.)

Not sure if the wheels are aftermarket or factory, i've only had the jeep for 2 months now. The shop owner, which I trust he does honest work, told me it can be dangerous since if the lugs are holding the wheel up, and say one of the studs snaps off, it can lead to another falling off eventually having all fall off. I planned on painting these wheels black or buying new ones, but not sure if it is safe to drive like this? He said the wheel should be sitting on the hub.

IMG_4359.PNG