Wheel studs spinning inside spacer

Schwifty Rich

TJ Enthusiast
IMG_2199.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG
Hey all, ive got a 2003 Rubicon and I've been reading up on changing my passenger side rear axle seal on my Dana 44. When I got down to start I noticed the PO put on some spacers and used loctite to secure the spacer to the studs. When I went to remove them I could only get three off while the other 2 spin anytime I take the bar or impact to it. I called the local 4x4 but they won't have availability till next Monday to do anything about it.
Other than torch and pry bar to try and create leverage on the nuts/studs does anyone have any tips?

At this point I'm considering buying an angle grinder and tearing into the spacer and just replace it. Any tips or guides for something like that? This isn't all to common and the other idea wasn't working. Thanks everyone!

Alright I ended up using a crowbar and the impact to get the last one out. The chisels were not cutting it. Spacer is out and I’ve pulled the axle and I’m now going to have to press in new studs as well as change the seal and press back on the new bearings. I’ll try to post pictures as I get going for anyone else.

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2205.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2217.JPG
IMG_2226.JPG
Update. I have finally gotten some new studs to replace the old ones. These were a little longer than the ones I already had but they were small enough that they didn't stick out of the spacer. I've taken off the retaining ring, bearing and seal at this point but it got a little dark out so I've saved all the pressing and re installation for tomorrow. Here are some pics I managed snap (when I remembered to)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055AT16O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Rich, this goes to show you how much "love" we invest into our rigs.
Working overnight, proper tools on a dino TJ work bench, no coffee break, no per diem, no overtime pay....no complaints, just one light is good enough, for the love of the jeep!
You deserve a "pat-in-the-back".

Hahaha thanks guys! I was actually in the back of my duplex inside my garage. I hung a flashlight from the garage door so I had some light. You cracked me up though! I found out the retaining plate was a little warped tho so I'm looking around town to see if I don't have to order it. I want this all put back together today!

ha you are totally right! It was my big scene, moment of triumph, the completion of disassembly.

Well like I said that axle retainer was warped and I've searched all over. Local shops don't have it and the only ones I can find I'm weary of.

Here are the ones I can find:

A crown retainer that's included in the axle kit. I read a thread where Chris and jerry advised against the crown or Yukon kits
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-5083678aa

Or this one:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetr...2.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=514&t_pt=9176&t_pn=D/S51762

If anyone can find it in Amazon I'd love to get it there, but I searched to no avail today.

Lastly. It looks like this seal is not only warped a little bit ground down. What else should I be considering in regards to cause and effect. What caused this and what else may need attention? Thanks!

IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG

The wear at the top of the bearing retainer is due to the axle shaft rubbing on it from the bearing failing or losing preload and the play in the tapered bearings letting the axle move up. However, that should have caused a massive oil leak and I don't see evidence of that. You should replace the retainer due to the wear, not the warp. They warp on purpose to put preload on the bearing and prevent the axle from walking out.

Reactions: Schwifty Rich
The wear at the top of the bearing retainer is due to the axle shaft rubbing on it from the bearing failing or losing preload and the play in the tapered bearings letting the axle move up. However, that should have caused a massive oil leak and I don't see evidence of that. You should replace the retainer due to the wear, not the warp. They warp on purpose to put preload on the bearing and prevent the axle from walking out.

Thanks for the info! Yea I'm definitely replacing and it and there was a little play in the bearings when I took it off but not a lot. The back of the wheel hub area was pretty covered in gunk, which is what prompted this whole endeavor. I don't have a pic of it though.

New question.
What's with the different shapes for the retainer plate? I've seen a few like the one I have overall rounder rectangle but I've seen others for the Dana 44 that are more diamond shaped. In the factory parts book it shows a diamond one for the Dana 44 axle.
IMG_2229.jpg

Thanks for the info! Yea I'm definitely replacing and it and there was a little play in the bearings when I took it off but not a lot. The back of the wheel hub area was pretty covered in gunk, which is what prompted this whole endeavor. I don't have a pic of it though.

New question.
What's with the different shapes for the retainer plate? I've seen a few like the one I have overall rounder rectangle but I've seen others for the Dana 44 that are more diamond shaped. In the factory parts book it shows a diamond one for the Dana 44 axle.
View attachment 40618
Raised lip has to be present for the disc brake backing plates. Shape has nothing to do with it.

Shape has nothing to do with it.

Hmmm. That's kinda wierd then. Are they all just different brands/styles but all universal fits for the Dana 44?
if that truly is the case then I would get these fromy local 4x4 shop tomorrow morning and still have time to fix it up and hopefully drive it to work later on.

I was weary because it looked so different but Their site does say it is a match for my jeep.

Omix-Ada Part# 47160

http://purperformance.com/lookup.html?Reload=1525639821289

OR do you think it better to just order the same style and wait?

Hmmm. That's kinda wierd then. Are they all just different brands/styles but all universal fits for the Dana 44?
if that truly is the case then I would get these fromy local 4x4 shop tomorrow morning and still have time to fix it up and hopefully drive it to work later on.

I was weary because it looked so different but Their site does say it is a match for my jeep.

Omix-Ada Part# 47160

http://purperformance.com/lookup.html?Reload=1525639821289

OR do you think it better to just order the same style and wait?
Regardless of shape, the 4 stud holes in the housing end are the same bolt pattern. The flat ones are the same as the ones with the raised lip, just flat and if you had a spacer ring to compensate for the thickness difference between a backing plate for drums and discs, it would work.

As long as it has the raised lip and it is for a Dana 44 Set 10 bearing, it will work.

Reactions: Schwifty Rich
Me. Blaine is correct. One additional thing. The spacer he’s referring to can be bought as a single piece and you will need it to preload the bearing surface from the outside. Teraflex has the ring you need and others too.
The shape is t really important as long as it is applying equal pressure to the ring I mentioned. If even made my own.

Me. Blaine is correct. One additional thing. The spacer he’s referring to can be bought as a single piece and you will need it to preload the bearing surface from the outside. Teraflex has the ring you need and others too.
The shape is t really important as long as it is applying equal pressure to the ring I mentioned. If even made my own.
Hey thanks for the heads up. I bit the bullet and ordered the same exact shape I had with the lip so I wouldnt have to worry about anything additional. My TJ is a Rubicon so the rear disc brakes were stock and so I shouldnt need the spacer from what I understand. The part should be coming in tomorrow night so hopfully I'll be up and running before the weekend hits!