When did you buy your first Jeep, and when your first TJ?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys! Just an off-topic discussion. So, when did you buy your first Jeep, and when did you buy your first TJ?

For me, it was around 2006, which my family bought a 2002 KJ 3.7L, which I drove in 2013-2015 (since I was not old enough before). Then we bought a 2005 WK 4.7L in 2015-til now.

Last by not least, I bought my first TJ, which is exclusively mine, and not a family car like the others Jeeps, in 2019. A 2004 SE 2.4L Black TJ.

What about you?

Last edited:
I bought my first Jeep in 1986 while stationed in Germany. It was a full size Cherokee that I ended up parting out and sold all the parts to a buddy with a CJ-7 who was going to do a engine/drivetrain/axle swap.

My next Jeep I bought was a 1967 CJ5 Tuxedo Park Mark IV in 1988 while stationed at APG, MD.

Next was a 1991 YJ I bought in 1992 while stationed at Ft Ord, CA.

Next was a 1966 CJ5 I got in 1998 when I lived in Snohomish, WA

The TJ had just come out and at first I REALLY REALLY disliked them because they were so different from what I was use to. I'd grown up going camping and target shooting with my grandfather and he had a CJ2A first and then a 1967 CJ5 that I spent many MANY miles in.

This is what sold me on TJ's finally. Budget boost spacers & longer shocks running 34" TSL LTB tires. I also had a buddy that had a white TJ that had been built to the max for 2000 that impressed me.

MVC-557S.JPG

I bought my TJ in Sept 2002 and still have that same TJ. This picture was a few months after I had brought it home.

MVC-339S.JPG

My first Jeep was an 89 YJ. It was a strange little thing, with a 4.0 Automatic, hardtop and doors, with an oldschool Fisher Speedcast 6' plow on it.

Poor thing was rough. The tub had its fair share of rust, but the frame was the worst part. The rear leaf shackles were basically riding on the floor of the tub as the rear rails were so far gone it was comical. Ended up selling it for more than I bought it for.

My current TJ is my second Jeep, and first TJ. I always wanted an ELG Jeep. I remember looking at them with my Dad back when they were on the lots brand new. We would call them M&M green, because that's what we thought they looked like. lol

Ever since then I wanted one in that color. Finally got one a few years ago.

In 1950, I was driven home from the hospital after my birth in a 1949 4WD Willys wagon.

I drove my first jeep in 1964 (without the knowledge of my parents), my dad's 1954 Willys CJ-3B.

My dad sold the CJ-3B in 1965 and purchased a brand new 1965 Kaiser CJ-5 V-6 that I drove in high school.

I bought the CJ-5 from my dad in 1974 after my younger siblings graduated and no longer needed it.

I sold the CJ-5 in 1986 and transitioned to fast cars and motorcycles.

In 1996 I purchased a 1983 CJ-7.

Between 2000-2012, in addition to the CJ-7, I also owned a series of XJ's and ZJ's.

In 2012 I sold my CJ-7 to my younger sister, who still owns it today and regularly runs the Rubicon with it.

Between 2013-2017 I overlanded with a second generation Nissan Xterra.

In 2017 I blew a transmission line in the Xterra on the way home from Moab. I still have the Xterra and use it as a daily driver/utility vehicle, but immediately after I returned from Moab I sought out and purchased this 2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon, my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow:

Jeep at PG&E Campground Butt Lake Reservoir.jpg

My first Jeep was my TJ. I bought it from the original owner in 2013 and then sold it to a family member in 2017. I then bought it back a year ago so now I am on my second round of ownership with the same TJ!

In 1950, I was driven home from the hospital after my birth in a 1949 4WD Willys wagon.

I drove my first jeep in 1964 (without the knowledge of my parents), my dad's 1954 Willys CJ-3B.

My dad sold the CJ-3B in 1965 and purchased a brand new 1965 Kaiser CJ-5 V-6 that I drove in high school.

I bought the CJ-5 from my dad in 1974 after my younger siblings graduated and no longer needed it.

I sold the CJ-5 in 1986 and transitioned to fast cars and motorcycles.

In 1996 I purchased a 1983 CJ-7.

Between 2000-2012, in addition to the CJ-7, I also owned a series of XJ's and ZJ's.

In 2012 I sold my CJ-7 to my younger sister, who still owns it today and regularly runs the Rubicon with it.

Between 2013-2017 I overlanded with a second generation Nissan Xterra.

In 2017 I blew a transmission line in the Xterra on the way home from Moab. I still have the Xterra and use it as a daily driver/utility vehicle, but immediately after I returned from Moab I sought out and purchased this 2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon, my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow:

View attachment 255197
nice!!

"My" first Jeep was a military (Navy) version located on our ship. I had the only international driver's license, so I was the only person to drive it. I don't know the model, but it was bare bones! I suspect it was an M-38A1 military Jeep. I drove it first from Keflavík to Reykjavik to take someone to the airport. I also drove it all over South Carolina, Spain, Portugal, and parts of the UK. I know it had a Hurricane Four, because there was a plate on the dash that said so. No key, just a switch. Three speed transmission.
My first Jeep was a 78 CJ-7 that ran on regular (leaded) gas. Sold it in 83 to a guy in Bermuda who could only buy leaded gas.
My first TJ was a 2004 Rubicon Unlimited in Beryl Green with a six speed and rag top.
Current Jeeps are a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited in Arrest Me Red and a 2012 GC Overland for road trips.
In spite of all the negative reviews, I have found most of my Jeeps to be very reliable and capable.
(Except for the dreaded 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD 3.0L with the half Mercedes and half Jeep Diesel engine, that neither could make run.)

I bought a used 1998 ZJ back in (I think) 2001. I drove it until 2011. I wanted something to handle holiday trips if it snowed somewhere between Kansas City and Western Nebraska.

I got the TJ in Sept 2019. The Toyota Highlander I drove in between was quiet had every bell and whistle on it for its time. But was boring and like driving a pig on snow. All over the place if you turned on snow even slow.

This thing is loud, has no options except cruise, and way more me. I seriously like driving it. I haven't had a deep, deep snow to test it yet. The ZJ plowed through a foot to get me home from work one day. That's what lead me to look at Jeep again.

The new 4 Dr wranglers are just too wide and long for what I wanted.

Reactions: TJim
First Jeep was a 1990 XJ Limited bought in 2006, my first vehicle. A few years later it came down to a 2000 XJ and a ~2000 TJ. I liked the TJ, but at the time (2009-2010 or so) they were over twice the price of an XJ. Being a college kid at the time it was hard for me to justify spending that much more, and with several break-ins on the campus lots a soft top made me question getting it. I sold my last XJ in 2019, and was jeepless for about 3 months before finding my 98 TJ.

First was an '86 XJ white 4 door bought it in 2006
first Tj is current an '04 X i bought in 08 i believe.. payed $5800
and bought a 2000 sport last year for $1200.00(with two week old trex nx in twill)
and looking..🤫

First was an '86 XJ white 4 door bought it in 2006
first Tj is current an '04 X i bought in 08 i believe.. payed $5800
and bought a 2000 sport last year for $1200.00(with two week old trex nx in twill)
and looking..🤫
wow those prices!

FInd me a TJR around $3000. Will you? haha

First Jeep was a 1998 Grand Cherokee in green and gold with the 5.9 engine. Was a nice daily driver, bought it 2006. Picked up a new 2014 Grand Cherokee for the wife in 2014 and my first TJ a 2005 Rubicon in Electric Lime Green last year in April or May. Sold it and bought the current 2006 LJ because the TJ was to nice to chop up and modify beyond bolt on stuff.

My First jeep was 2021 Wrangler Unlimited that me and the wife shared but it was mostly for her, it was our fun car we still ahve it and she drives it everyday.

Got this Electric Lime Green TJ in September of Last year and its my daily, I've always wanted a TJ.

My first jeep was an 89 XJ I bought in CA in 1994, I followed that up in 1996 with a 58 CJ5 that I found for $2500 just outside of Death Valley. Took that up to WA and drove it as my DD for 3 years. Then there was a 94 XJ, 86 CJ7, 99XJ, and a 2000 WJ. Finally found my 05 LJR in 2016. Loved each one of those Jeeps, but the hardest to let go were the two CJ's.

My parents bought from the postal service a former mail delivery jeep painted purple in the late 70's. For me it was a 2012 JKU that I traded in on the wife's benz 3 years later. Missed it so much that I got the 05 TJ.

My First jeep was 2021 Wrangler Unlimited that me and the wife shared but it was mostly for her, it was our fun car we still ahve it and she drives it everyday.

Got this Electric Lime Green TJ in September of Last year and its my daily, I've always wanted a TJ.

Fellow ELG brother!

Had a 90 something Grand Cherokee in college. Technically my parent's car, but I drove it to school. One of the first years for the GC, with the 4.0 I6. That thing was a tank, I loved it. Did some mild offroading, never modded it though.

Then about 4 or 5 years ago bought my wife a used '08 GC. Which she still drives, and it's been fine overall. Like 140k on it now.

Bought my TJ about 1.5 years ago, from a used car dealer. Been modding it, still have a pile of parts in the basement to go on when I have the time. Always wanted a Wrangler and settled on the TJ since it was still an old school design and easy to work on.

First Jeep was a 1998 TJ bought new in October of 97 I believe. Had a 4" lift and 33's. This is where the sickness began.
2nd Jeep was a 1979 CJ-7. Built Dana 60's SBC 350 on 40's, stretched to 107' wheel base. Still my favorite Jeep..Love the CJ's
3rd Jeep a 2000 TJ 2.5 Inch lift, 1" body lift on 33's
4th Jeep 2007 JKUR. 4" Lift on 37's
5th Jeep 1988 YJ, 4.5" Lift on 35's
6th Jeep 1997 TJ Still have, and a work in progress, 3" Lift on 37's, high lined. Ford HP 44 front, Dana 60 rear. This one took a back seat for a while due to Getting married, having a kid, getting a house and shop built. I will focus back on this once MY LJ is done, which will be soon.
7th Jeep 1998 TJ. This is my sons. Getting ready to sell for something a little bigger and fuel efficient for school. 2" Lift on 32's
8th Jeep 2006 LJ Not getting rid of this one.... Specs in my sig.

Just realized how much money I threw away looking at this list..

• Wow
1st was an '84 XJ 2dr Laredo w/ the 151 "Iron Duke" and a 5spd. Biggest POS ever, but it got me through two U.P. winters.

1st TJ bought was in May of '97- a white Sahara w/ white hard top and tan soft top. Had a lot of fun with that, eventually sold it in '00 to save money for wedding, house, and stuff.

My 05 is my first Jeep, so far. My wife has an 18 Renegade, dubbed Grandma's Little Goat. Can probably call mine 'The Rust Bucket'.

Bought the LJ in Aug., 2010 with 53K on it. I originally went to the CDJ dealer to look at a 1991 C4 'vette with 40K on it and about $3500 less than the Jeep. My wife hated the 'vette and I wasn't too thrilled about putting my left hand down on the pavement to get my ass out of it. My wife suggested that I look at the cute black Jeep with the chrome grill. Sat in it and my hand landed naturally on the 6-speed shifter knob. Said "Mine". Has a 105K on it now.

As I never really took to Just Empty Every Pocket, other than the JVC stereo, everything on it is bone stock.