When to change oil?

It also depends on what type of gaskets you have, if they have been changed, any motor modification because of the composition of the oil some parts and seals can withstand different types of oils

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Artificial oil is
Synthetic, artificial, natural, the oil's job is to help keep the engine operating temperature stable and to carry metal shavings to the filter.
Change oil every 5000 miles
Rotate tires every 5000 miles,
Keep it simple, don't over think oil :)
I do natural.
we change oil when my wife feels like it :(
and yes, it is complicated :)

Reactions: KCsTJ
For me, 6 months or 5000 miles. Oil company claims of oils lasting for 10,000 to 20,000 miles may be true as far as their additive package holding up, but all oils accumulate dirt at the same rate.

Reactions: JMT
For my '06 LJ Rubicon with 4.0 motor I use:

Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 synthetic blend motor oil
Fram Tough Guard oil filter (P/N TG16)

Change Interval every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever is earlier

To OP:

My inclination, regardless of whether you elect to use synthetic, synthetic blend or conventional motor oil would be to start with a 5,000 mile / 6 month change interval then send a sample to Blackstone Labs for testing. Blackstone's analysis typically includes their recommendation for a change interval based upon the specific findings for your oil and engine.

The Blackstone Labs test has two primary benefits: (1) It will give you an idea of the condition of your engine based upon the metals and contaminants found in the oil; and (2) The results show the condition of the oil and its additive package which will allow you to determine the optimum oil change interval theoretically saving money over the life of the vehicle. I test once each year per vehicle. Its worth the $28 to me to know rather than guess based upon the color of the oil in the drain pan. YMMV

The odometer on one of my vehicles just passed 138,000 miles, the last 40,000 of which using Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30 synthetic blend motor oil. Blackstone has recommended that I extend the change interval in that vehicle to 7,500 miles then re-test.

I haven't had my current jeep long enough to collect enough lab data to evaluate oil change intervals. ['06 LJ Rubicon.] I changed over to Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 synthetic blend motor oil, and will change it every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever is earlier, until I see test results that provide a compelling reason to vary from that schedule.

I see no point in using full synthetic motor oil in the Jeep 4.0 engine. The "severe duty" maintenance schedule calls for periodic oil changes regardless of mileage. Since it is unlikely that one will reach the specified change mileage before reaching the specified change time, there is no advantage to paying extra for high mileage synthetic motor oil.

See: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Reactions: namunyoska
These threads definitely produce all kinds of different answers and nothing wrong with that.

BUT i change every 5k or 6 months using any brand Synthetic and any high efficiency filter.

SO there it is....the holy grail for changing oil :D

So, while on oil change subject... Is there a replacement gasket/o-ring/washer for the oil drain plug? Or just get a replacement plug?.. From everything I have seen it "looks" like the "gasket/washer" is part of the plug. Lucy had always had a small drip at the plug since I got her from Dad... Getting ready for oil changes on all the vehicles now nicer weather is finally here...

So I just bought my Jeep a couple weeks ago with no clue when the last oil change was or what oil was used so I am getting ready to change it. The Jeep has 162,xxx miles on it. I hear guys talking about using synthetic. But I also heard if you haven’t been using synthetic early on, don’t switch to it when you have high miles. Just use an oil for high mileage. Then there’s 10w-30 or 5w-30. Ugh. Looking for suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just bought my Jeep a couple weeks ago with no clue when the last oil change was or what oil was used so I am getting ready to change it. The Jeep has 162,xxx miles on it. I hear guys talking about using synthetic. But I also heard if you haven’t been using synthetic early on, don’t switch to it when you have high miles. Just use an oil for high mileage. Then there’s 10w-30 or 5w-30. Ugh. Looking for suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dino will do. I use Valvoline High Mileage.
You probably want to change all the other 5 fluids for a little peace of mind.

Reactions: etc1006
So, while on oil change subject... Is there a replacement gasket/o-ring/washer for the oil drain plug? Or just get a replacement plug?.. From everything I have seen it "looks" like the "gasket/washer" is part of the plug. Lucy had always had a small drip at the plug since I got her from Dad... Getting ready for oil changes on all the vehicles now nicer weather is finally here...
The washer comes with the plug. Its ~$5-6 at an auto parts store.

If that doesn’t work, it could be leaking from above; rear main seal or PCV valve. The 4.0’s are known for being leaky...

Reactions: KCsTJ and etc1006
The washer comes with the plug. Its ~$5-6 at an auto parts store.

If that doesn’t work, it could be leaking from above; rear main seal or PCV valve. The 4.0’s are known for being leaky...

Excellent, thanks! I did look around and at the time noticed nothing else. My first thought was the Valve cover or PCV. But upon crawling under and looking around it was the plug. Not bad for almost 200k... I'm gonna hazard a guess it's prolly the original plug...

In my personal opinion one falsehood some proponents of synthetic oils like to spread, especially Amsoil, is that their products don't need to be changed as often as a conventional oil does. That's simply not true. Engines generate naturally occurring acids, combustion byproducts, dirt, etc. at the same rate whether the lubricating oil is synthetic or conventional. And conventional oil filters simply cannot filter those types of contaminants out. YES the oil itself may still be good at 15,000 miles but it's going to be full of harmful contaminants & dirt that cannot be filtered out by a conventional oil filter that can only be eliminated by changing the oil and filter.

And with over 54 years of driving under my belt, I've yet to have a single engine problem while using nothing but conventional engine oils changed typically at 5,000 mile intervals. And that's with a lot of my vehicles having been driven to 200k miles before they were sold off or stolen lol.

Another good way is when you check your oil and see how dark it is. The darker it is the more it has gotten contaminates in it and has started breaking down.

Intuitively perhaps; in reality not so.

Example: The conventional 30 weight motor oil in the engines of my air cooled VW's would turn very dark within 500 miles. Laboratory testing by Blackstone Laboratories revealed that even at 3,000 miles (the recommended change interval) and almost black in color the oil had lost none of its lubricating ability, additives were still at acceptable levels, and harmful contaminants were still low. The "black" was harmless soot/carbon held in suspension in the motor oil and lab reports showed the color had no direct correlation to the actual condition of the oil. However, even though Blackstone Labs recommended extending the change interval to 5,000 miles based upon test results at 3,000 miles, since VW used a screen rather than an oil filter in their air cooled engines and the crankcase only held 2.65 qts. I was never comfortable going much past the factory recommended 3,000 miles.

I am a proponent on periodic oil testing for the following reasons: (1) Actual data from the particular engine and motor oil used will reveal the true condition of the oil and provide a rational basis for extending oil change intervals which will save money over the long term; (2) Test results will show concentrations of metals and other materials in the used motor oil which reveal an abnormal condition of the main bearings, seals and other internal parts before a catastrophic failure of those parts; and (3) peace of mind from knowing rather than guessing.

Admittedly a jeep isn't a high mileage vehicle like an 18-wheeler that requires 10-15 quarts for an oil change at a cost of $200+ at a TA, Petro or Flying J truck stop, may have 10,000-15,000 mile factory recommended oil change intervals, and may cover 600,000 miles between engine rebuilds. For those vehicles, periodic tests that reveal oil change intervals can be extended 33% could save thousands of dollars more than the cost of the lab tests in oil cost alone.

I test the oil in each of my vehicles once each year and have calculated that for my daily driver vehicles I save money over the long term by using the test results to establish extended oil change intervals, and for my jeep and other low annual mileage vehicles I at least break even on the testing cost/extended oil change cost/benefit analysis.

BTW - during the same period that I have relied on Blackstone Labs test results to establish extended oil change intervals I have routinely put 250,000-300,000 miles on vehicles without the necessity for major engine work. An '87 Ford diesel pickup I once owned has had its oil regularly tested and just turned over 500,000 miles without an engine overhaul. Perhaps I (and the current owner of that pickup) could have achieved the same results without the lab tests, but I (we) would have been flying blind so to me it was well worth the cost. YMMV.

For those who don't believe testing is worth the cost, here are my starting points for oil change intervals based upon decades of oil analysis test results for various engines, motor oils and filters:

Conventional motor oil - 5,000 miles (except in air cooled VW engines without oil filters - the change interval for those stays at 3,000 miles)

Synthetic blend motor oil - 5,000-7,500 miles .

Full synthetic motor oil - 7,500-10,000 miles

These intervals can be adjusted up or down depending upon test results, severity of use, length of time the vehicle idles or sits idle, whether vehicle is stored inside or outside, general condition of engine, miles/hours on engine, etc.

I almost never reach the mileage for an oil change in my jeeps (current and past) because I change the oil in my vehicles twice each year regardless of mileage. Full synthetic oil is a waste of money for me and I could probably stick with conventional oil for my jeep. I use Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend - more for the additive package for higher mileage engines than its extended change interval. Ironically, it often costs less than conventional motor oil. (Pep Boys prices for 5 qt. jug as of 4/15/18 - Valvoline 10w-30 full synthetic $37.99; Valvoline 10w-30 conventional oil $27.99; Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 synthetic blend $24.98.) Blackstone tells me that I can extend the change interval to 7,500 miles, but based on the miles actually driven in my jeep the twice per year oil changes come at closer to the 5,000 mile baseline.

Happy oil changing.