When you go one way and your wheel / tire goes the other way

04TJ_X

Supporting Member
Should I rebuild my front end while I have it apart? I.E. axle u-joints, ball joints. I'm going to replace the hub assemblies, rotors and pads. I've already replaced tie rods and drag link ends.

Had this happen to me once when I was 17 years old on my VW. Scary as hell since I was going 45 mph when it happened. Never seen sparks quite like that before!

Anyways, yes, I would rebuild the front end while you're in there and put in new ball joints, tie rod ends, unit bearings, brake rotors, brakes, u-joints, etc. Might as well!

In my opinion you definitely should as it will hopefully keep you from having to have the front apart again. Why take the front again for a second time down the road to where you can do everything now and enjoy the jeep for longer down the road.

Had this happen to me once when I was 17 years old on my VW. Scary as hell since I was going 45 mph when it happened. Never seen sparks quite like that before!

Anyways, yes, I would rebuild the front end while you're in there and put in new ball joints, tie rod ends, unit bearings, brake rotors, brakes, u-joints, etc. Might as well!
Yea I thought the tire went flat until I took that turn and my tire kept going haha. That's what I was thinking may as well while I'm there.
Thanks!

In my opinion you definitely should as it will hopefully keep you from having to have the front apart again. Why take the front again for a second time down the road to where you can do everything now and enjoy the jeep for longer down the road.
May as well get it done while I'm there. Thanks for the input!

What failed to cause that? Loose lug nuts?

A 15” brake kit would come with rotors, pads, calipers, and knuckles, and can be ordered with the unit bearings as well. Since you’re already doing ball joints and bearings installing it would be no additional work, except to install the new caliper

What failed to cause that? Loose lug nuts?

A 15” brake kit would come with rotors, pads, calipers, and knuckles, and can be ordered with the unit bearings as well. Since you’re already doing ball joints and bearings installing it would be no additional work, except to install the new caliper
May have been improper torque on the lug nuts :rolleyes:. Where would one find a kit like that? I wouldn't mind something like that other than changing the calipers and bleeding brakes.

Yea I thought the tire went flat until I took that turn and my tire kept going haha. That's what I was thinking may as well while I'm there.
Thanks!

In my case, the threads on the hub were stripped out and the lug nuts worked themselves loose. This was due to a friend impacting the lug nuts on as oppose to putting them on by hand with a torque wrench.

Lesson learned!

Reactions: B252
In my case, the threads on the hub were stripped out and the lug nuts worked themselves loose. This was due to a friend impacting the lug nuts on as oppose to putting them on by hand with a torque wrench.

Lesson learned!
There is always lesson to be learned when wrenching and hanging out with friends lol.

May have been improper torque on the lug nuts :rolleyes:. Where would one find a kit like that? I wouldn't mind something like that other than changing the calipers and bleeding brakes.
It’s not cheap, but you would get far better braking performance. Worth it if you like to be able to stop quickly in an emergency. Cheaper than rear ending someone, that’s for sure

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/VANCO-Big-Brake-Kits-15-16-Super-16-and-17_c84.htm
If you’re replacing everything, might as well upgrade. At least that’s my opinion

I'm glad your OK! That could have ended badly. I had this happen years ago to the rear wheel of an F150 towing a 16' fully loaded trailer. Close investigation revealed that at some point some A-hole had over torqued the lug nuts. Probably more than once. Whenever I buy a new used vehicle wheel studs are one of the 1st things I change. Hopefully your post will inspire others to reconsider the integrity of their studs and lug nuts.
Since you will already have things apart I would just replace everything. It's all pretty easy and straightforward. I might add the axle seals while your at it.

Where would one find a kit like that? I wouldn't mind something like that other than changing the calipers and bleeding brakes.

If you are sticking with 33s, you'll be good with some new rotors and Black Magic Brake pads (the big brake kit usually isn't warranted until 35s or greater): https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Front-Pads-477s-Front-Rotors-67045s-F-BMBP-47700067045.htm or if your calipers are OEM and you want to replace them: https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...ers-Rotors-99-06-TJ-477-67045-58021-58022.htm