Where are people buying replacement OPDAs?

Alex05

TJ Enthusiast
My OPDA just started sounding like monkeys; It's time to replace it. I've taken a look at Quadratec, and the Amazon link found in the pinned OPDA post in this forum, and it seems like there is a sharp increase in complaints regarding quality starting in 2021 on the Quadratec OPDA product page, but not on Amazon. The Amazon estimated ship date is July, but Quadratec says they can ship beginning of April. Both are the same part number and as far as I can tell the same supplier.
Any idea why there are so many recent complains on Quadratec, but not Amazon?

So on my third TJR/TJR/LJ all with the dreaded OPDA, on all 3 I did the Chrysler recall online thing. All three came back, fixed with a Chrysler recall 10 years ago. No idea what they did but my last TJR I retired last fall at 400K kms. Never had an issue. Check with Chrysler, maybe they fixed it. But if your TJ is running 15 years later...... is it even an issue?

I did mine 3 years ago, I got it at the local Advance Autoparts and I truly don’t remember what brand it was but I think it was a Crown. So far so good

I just replaced mine a couple months ago and ordered from quadratec. It is the crown unit. The one I removed was a crown unit that I installed 4 years ago and it was pretty noisy from the beginning. The new one is much quieter.

I got my crown one from quadratec last year I believe, any trouble I had was because I installed it incorrectly. After I got everything set right it's been fine

They were in short supply last fall and it looks to be that way again. Try Morris 4x4, they might have one, call them to order and they will call over to Crown to verify inventory. I waited about three months for one. Don't drive it until it's replaced or you will be doing the cam shaft as well.

They were in short supply last fall and it looks to be that way again. Try Morris 4x4, they might have one, call them to order and they will call over to Crown to verify inventory. I waited about three months for one. Don't drive it until it's replaced or you will be doing the cam shaft as well.
Looks like Morris has them in stock! I'll definitely call and verify, and if they do have them I'm thinking this is going to be a 'next day' kind of shipping deal.

So on my third TJR/TJR/LJ all with the dreaded OPDA, on all 3 I did the Chrysler recall online thing. All three came back, fixed with a Chrysler recall 10 years ago. No idea what they did but my last TJR I retired last fall at 400K kms. Never had an issue. Check with Chrysler, maybe they fixed it. But if your TJ is running 15 years later...... is it even an issue?
I have tried to find Chrysler's recall check site, but I'm having no luck. Where did you look?

Apologies for the rapid fire posts.
I'm also very concerned that I may have already caused damage, and I don't know enough about the OPDA issue to understand if I did or not.
A few days ago, I briefly heard the OPDA monkey noise during startup, but it went away. I then drove to an errand and back which was 12 miles round trip. Last night it began making the OPDA monkey noise consistently while I moved it into my garage. The motor was running for about 5 minutes total. I can't recall if I've driven it or not outside of these two instances, but these are absolutely the only two times that I have heard the OPDA monkey noise.

I've seen comments that the crown OPDA is a good replacement but to retain the use of the MOPAR camshaft position sensor.

If anybody wants my OEM LDI OPDA as a stop gap until they can get a Crown, its theirs for the shipping. Apparently no problem with it as yet (129K miles), but STRICTLY at your own risk!

I've been meaning to disassemble it to separate the steel parts from the aluminum, then toss it into the recycle bin, but its still sitting here...

Last edited:
I've been looking for one this week too...best luck I had was Vivid Racing and now shipping 3/29/21...original.ship date was another week out. Jegs and the other big name suppliers were sold out if looking for the Crown. Sometimes it doesn't say until.you get to checkout. Per Google search, Walmart had 3 in stock with two day shipping. I ordered one and it was supposed to be delivered today....received notice it's delayed with no updated date so I cancelled it.

Morris 4x4 seemed to have them in stock.
My apologies for drifting away from the original post, but I'm definitely looking for an answer on this if anyone can offer some expertise:

"I'm also very concerned that I may have already caused damage, and I don't know enough about the OPDA issue to understand if I did or not.
A few days ago, I briefly heard the OPDA monkey noise during startup, but it went away. I then drove to an errand and back which was 12 miles round trip. Last night it began making the OPDA monkey noise consistently while I moved it into my garage. The motor was running for about 5 minutes total. I can't recall if I've driven it or not outside of these two instances, but these are absolutely the only two times that I have heard the OPDA monkey noise."

Morris 4x4 seemed to have them in stock.
My apologies for drifting away from the original post, but I'm definitely looking for an answer on this if anyone can offer some expertise:

"I'm also very concerned that I may have already caused damage, and I don't know enough about the OPDA issue to understand if I did or not.
A few days ago, I briefly heard the OPDA monkey noise during startup, but it went away. I then drove to an errand and back which was 12 miles round trip. Last night it began making the OPDA monkey noise consistently while I moved it into my garage. The motor was running for about 5 minutes total. I can't recall if I've driven it or not outside of these two instances, but these are absolutely the only two times that I have heard the OPDA monkey noise."
You'll find out when you remove the old one how bad the gear damage is. Nothing you can do till then. Definitely use your original sensor though. Do not use the crown sensor.

I replaced my OPDA in my 06 with a crown unit about 3 weeks ago, lucky I bought it earlier for a 'Just in case" and that just in case happened.
My 06 was built after the OPDA problem was rectified but I think they all start to give in eventually.
It only squealed at start up one morning and I just shut it down, started it again when I got home from work and it was ok but I still changed it before running it again.
New unit took away a load of minor noise I thought was just a worn engine noise. Sound dont work in link click on youtube.

You'll find out when you remove the old one how bad the gear damage is. Nothing you can do till then. Definitely use your original sensor though. Do not use the crown sensor.
Thank you! Makes sense to me; It's all speculation until I lay eyes on the gear. Fishtaco, I have had just about the same experience as you had.