Where can I buy a rebuilt 2.4 engine?

@TJ4Jim, didn’t you go through this?
Last time was in 2015 but #2 son and I dropped an ATK engine into his Dakota last year purchased thru Rock Auto and everything worked out great/ The experience with ATk/Vege engines was very positive. The engine was shipped, delivered and picked up all right to and from my garage via a local delivery service via a mini van and a fiberglass engine crate.

I suspect tracking down anything at this point during the pandemic may be an issue and considering your in a Metro area you might be better off shopping around for a local re-builder and just have your original re-built.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
You have a 2.5, not the 2.4--which actually is good, because 2.5s are much easier to source.

Edit: nvm, looks like you said 2.5 in the description but 2.4 in the title. Just wanted to make sure you knew which engine to look for.

Saw this on Offerup today.

https://offerup.co/8n5S84fwGcb
Screenshot_20201231-221719_OfferUp.jpg

So I finally decided on a re-manufactured engine from North American ATK. I got it installed last week by a shop who specializes in Jeeps. I was pretty excited to finally drive it but I quickly ran into some issues. I'm hoping to get some advice here since I'm new to Jeeps and cars in general.

1). It didn't pass smog because technician said OBDII Monitor showed as "not ready" and said I needed to drive it a few miles.
2). As I drove it on freeway, engine light came on and some of the components on the panel started acting funny. The speedometer hand moved up and down, odometer numbers would sometimes not show, and airbag light came on and off. Everything is OK after Tech reset panel components except engine light is constantly on now.
3). Noticed a vibration or shakiness especially on 3rd gear.

I will be taking it back to mechanic to look at. So the guy I bought it from had it parked since 2011 because it was driven without any coolant and blew a head gasket. The body and inside are in very good shape and no rust. Are there any issues with cars that have been idle for so long? Just curious. Will keep you post it. Thanks,
Shelly

Let the installer check it over. It sounds like a loose ground or something on the electrical issue. The vibe could be anything from a flat spotted tire to a loose motor mount.