Where did you mount your extinguisher?

Quick Fists are looking better and better.

For 2-3 pound extinguishers:

View attachment 107606

For larger:

View attachment 107607

These mounts are great for everything. I just wonder how and where to mount them. I guess for a smaller model you could use large zip ties.

As for the Element model. It's seems alot more effective than a standard ABC model. It runs for 4x's longer than a standard unit. Covers A,B,C & K (grease and cooking oil - think cooking on the back of your Jeep.) fires. It also won't become a projectile in a crash if your mounting brackets don't hold. It's literally just a bit larger than a road flare. And works just like a road flare. For about $10-$20 more.

Some key features. (Although I don't know what "Made it Italy" means as a benefit. lol. Are the Italians the Tiffany's of fire extinguishers?!):

FEATURES

• 50 second discharge: More than 4x longer than a 5lb fire bottle
  • Compact and easy to use: 30cm (11.75") tall, 3.2cm (1.2") diameter, 230 grams (0.6lbs) weight
  • Makes no mess & leaves no residue
  • Clean and Eco-friendly: No mess, non-toxic, non-corrosive, environmentally friendly
  • Zero thrust discharge: Will not spread oil & liquid fires
  • Safe and maintenance free: No moving parts or compressed gas to ever service
  • Weatherproof and unaffected by extreme temperature, humidity, or vibration. Safe to store in wet environments.
  • Made in Italy
  • Fights all major fire classes: A,B,C, & K (cooking oils and grease) fires

I installed my fire extinguisher in front of the driver’s seat with a “Bracketeer” and I like it a lot. I think they’re a bit overpriced on Amazon for $60 but I found mine on eBay as a ‘factory second’ for $33. The fire extinguisher (sold separately) is held in place very securely.

http://www.thebracketeer.com/
Edit: the Bracketeer is fine, but the plastic strap that holds the fire extinguisher to it just broke over the weekend, so I'll be exploring a different solution...

Last edited:
I've got mine lodged in a milk crate, like a hobo, which sits behind the passenger seat.
I intend to mount it eventually. Haven't settled on where.

Reactions: matkal
Mines mounted alongside the trans tunnel in the passenger footwell. That way it doesn't get in the way of the seat moving back and forth and it's still easy to reach.

Mines mounted alongside the trans tunnel in the passenger footwell. That way it doesn't get in the way of the seat moving back and forth and it's still easy to reach.
The seat has complete range of motion using the setup I showed above. The seat can be moved fully forward over the extinguisher.

The seat has complete range of motion using the setup I showed above. The seat can be moved fully forward over the extinguisher.
In both the 97-02 and 03-06 different seat heights? I couldn't get it to work there personally, either way I find it easier to reach when its further forward on the side of the tunnel.

I chose to move mine from the front of the drivers seat, because on occasion I move the seat ahead for someone to get in the back. In my LJ, it fit well in front of the shifter. It's only a 2 pounder, but fits well. First Alert Fire Extinguisher | Car Fire Extinguisher, Red, AUTO5

IMG_20200616_165604.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking about along side the seat as it fits so well and looks good. I was a little concerned about a side impact, and rain (often run half or no doors with a top on). Looks good though.

On a tbone I have bigger concerns, though generally I’m high enough I’d expect the other party to go under the Jeep. What am I missing about rain? I rarely run the upper halves

I put mine next to the driver seat, still accessible even in most of the worst circumstances:

View attachment 170331
Anything smaller than a 5 lb. is too small in my opinion. Think about being out in the boondocks 50 miles from a fire truck.

And odds are not good you'd be able to get to it there after an accident.

Reactions: Zorba
Anything smaller than a 5 lb. is too small in my opinion. And odds are not good you'd be able to get to it there after an accident.

That size is probably a reflection of my inexperience - I’ll look into an upgrade and moving this to be complementary.

My primary intent of carrying anything is mostly for non-traffic related incidents (offroad). Perhaps you can enlighten me, but I didn’t carry one in my previous BMW nor my wife’s car. Do you have an extinguisher in your other vehicle(s), if not, why only the Jeep? Or maybe I’m misunderstanding you in that the accident is including offroad?

On the roll bar at the bsck of the Jeep. If there is a fire under the dash or in the cab I want to get the @#$% away from it then get the extinguisher.

Thinking more on fire extinguisher locations, there’s none that are fool proof, especially in an accident scenario - in front of the seat it may dislodge and be who knows where, next to the seat may be inaccessible... anywhere else you’re unlikely to be able to reach from the driver’s seat if you’re stuck. Even with seatbelt cutters few other locations seem ideal.

If we are talking only offroad scenarios, I don’t see many downsides to either next to/in front of the driver seat (assuming a large enough capacity) and maybe a complement further away from the engine.

Anything smaller than a 5 lb. is too small in my opinion. Think about being out in the boondocks 50 miles from a fire truck.

And odds are not good you'd be able to get to it there after an accident.
Agreed. A boss I had years ago was a volunteer fireman. He rubbed the 5 lb. extinguisher mantra into my brain, I won't have anything less...

Last edited:
On a tbone I have bigger concerns, though generally I’m high enough I’d expect the other party to go under the Jeep. What am I missing about rain? I rarely run the upper halves
It may not be a big deal, but most fire extinguisher manufacturers recommend keeping them dry so that they don't corrode or rust. How I use my Jeep, occasional water in the fire extinguisher area on the seats side would be a concern.