Where do I buy a new front driveshaft?

ragtop429

Back in July I purchased my 2004 Wrangler Rubicon with 110k miles on it. It's been doing well so far with about 1100 miles I've put on it now. However, coming home the other day with top down and doors off I heard what sounded like the start of the angry sparrows. It's a squeaky chirpy sound running at driveshaft speed. No sound when not moving, but take off and there it is. So I eased on home and parked it until I could look it over.

My jeep came from about the worst place possible for a Wrangler - New York. Frame is good, and other rust issues were properly addressed by the previous owner, but the front driveshaft is pretty raunchy looking and looks like it's been untouched for 110k miles. I know I could rebuild it, but I think I prefer to just replace the whole driveshaft instead of fighting rusty parts. I'm getting older, fatter, crankier, and with much less patience for projects that don't cooperate! lol

SO, what would be the best/recommended online supplier for a complete stock driveshaft I can just bolt in? I don't need anything crazy, my Wrangler is just a forest road run-about and will never see any serious offroading or rock climbing.

Going to drop my skid plate tomorrow to address whatever is leaking in that area and will remove the front driveshaft while in there, then go for a drive to make sure the noise is indeed the driveshaft before I replace it.

Thanks.

I typically order my components from Denny's driveshafts, but have never ordered a complete front DS replacement. I'd check with them to see if they can point you in the right direction.

The centering ball in the CV joint is squeaking, gauranteed. Replace that, or maybe just lubricate it.
That's what I suspect from doing a little bit of research. But I'm a bit afraid of just lubing it to quiet it down. I'd hate to just mask eventual failure. Especially since I've learned that if this joint fails it can destroy the transfer case. The whole driveshaft is pretty flaky and scaly from rust. Looks like it would be a royal pain in the ass to fight with the rust trying to get old joints pressed out, new ones in, etc to rebuild the driveshaft. After 110k miles I suspect sooner than later it will be time for all u-joints to be replaced.

Reactions: TJ Starting
The drive shaft is serviceable, you only need a new bolt in one when you change the length. Get the parts to rebuild it and go from there. Denny's as suggested by @RubiconRic is a great place to source parts for repairing your driveshaft.

Edit: if the job is a royal pain in the ass, yes you can just buy a new one like anything

ya i have nothin but good words about Tom Wood drive shafts.
my last order ended up 2" to long.
maybe i messed up, maybe they did, but without arguing over how it got to be wrong they said sent it back and they made it right. even paid the shipping back out to me a 2nd time, even after i offered to cover it.

Last edited:
Reactions: J R and L J
X3 on Tom Woods. Just ordered a rear driveshaft that was built and delivered to my place in 4 days.

I'm using adams front and rear right now. I tried toms for my front shaft and was sent 2 out of balance shafts in a row. Toms was great for customer service though.

Does rebuilding the front drive shaft just involve replacing the U-joints? Or is there more involved?

Does rebuilding the front drive shaft just involve replacing the U-joints? Or is there more involved?
Depending on the condition of the centering ball you will at the minimum replace ujoints. If the centering ball is bad you will either have to service it with a ball kit or replace the entire centering flange.

Depending on the condition of the centering ball you will at the minimum replace ujoints. If the centering ball is bad you will either have to service it with a ball kit or replace the entire centering flange.
Rebuilding also includes balancing and straightening of the driveshaft.

Rebuilding also includes balancing and straightening of the driveshaft.
Not necessarily. I only worry about that if the shaft looks like it needs it or if it was actually vibrating when it was removed. Ideally if you put all the components back in the same orientation as when you took it apart you will not have changed the balance.

Adam's driveshaft will rebuild for you (my rear driveshaft);
Curtis Tatten does good work on drivelines. He built my front drive shaft after the angry sparrows gave way and destroyed a transmission case as well as my transfer case;
You can buy the parts and rebuild it yourself.
Of course, there's always Tom Woods.