Where do I measure front pinion angle at?

Brian83

TJ Enthusiast
Trying to set up my front pinion angle. 5.5" of lift. Driveshaft angle is sitting right at 10 degrees. Setting the upper Control arms to the charts I found online (15-5/8")has my pinion way to low. If I understand it right I want my pinion angle to match the drive shaft correct, so 10 degrees? Can I measure this on the top of the yoke or on top of the pinion snout on the housing? I had a hell of a time getting the axle rotated last night just to end up with the pinion almost at 2 degrees and just want to make sure Im measuring at the correct spot.

Last edited:
There are two flat spots on either side of the front of the pumpkin where a case spreader would be used. That should be 90 degrees to the driveshaft. May be + or - to make vibes go away. Caster will be what it will be.

Trying to set up my front pinion angle. 5.5" of lift. Driveshaft angle is sitting right at 10 degrees. Setting the upper Control arms to the charts I found online (15-5/8")has my pinion way to low. If I understand it right I want my pinion angle to match the drive shaft correct, so 10 degrees? Can I measure this on the top of the yoke or on top of the pinion snout on the housing? I had a hell of a time getting the axle rotated last night just to end up with the pinion almost at 2 degrees and just want to make sure Im measuring at the correct spot.
If you've got a double-cardan/CV driveshaft, then yes, you want the pinion angle to match the angle of the driveshaft (i.e. the driveshaft meets the pumpkin at a 90 degree angle). If not then you need the pinion angle to match the output angle from the transfer case.

The measurement points above will work, although I just used the top of the driveshaft u-joint when I did mine...