Where does the air temperature sensor go on a 05 Rubicon?

Daneek155

So picking apart my 05 rubicon I bought and noticed the air sensor is ghetto rigged mounted. Can someone tell me where it is suppose to be. The intake hose does not have a port for it. Also with it being mounted like that what issues could it cause

031575CB-3525-47F8-B79A-CD0A5DC3D3A8.jpeg

B3D02277-FE37-41C5-8B31-287E4DD1C3AB.jpeg

56006616-5B5A-4007-8E37-019C7454F9AC.jpeg

Thanks. What issues would it be causing be mounted where it is now. I noticed my fan seems on always on. Did a clutch test by shutting vehicle off and fan does stop immediately. Just wondering if that can relate to that sensor

Thanks. What issues would it be causing be mounted where it is now. I noticed my fan seems on always on. Did a clutch test by shutting vehicle off and fan does stop immediately. Just wondering if that can relate to that sensor
Can't say for sure but the point is that it's supposed to be monitoring the intake air, not the air in the engine compartment. The intake tube that you have is for an earlier model (pre '03, I think) where the PCV intake was on the tube. Your '05 should have the PCV intake on the air box and not on the tube...and the air sensor should be mounted on the firewall side of the tube. Here's a pic (not my TJ) that shows the PCV intake line correctly routed to the air filter box and the sensor mounting in the back of the air intake tube.

I'm guessing a previous owner put in a stock air box and intake tube from an earlier year model Jeep. You will need to get the proper air box, intake tube, and PCV intake hose. Salvage yards (in person or online) and ebay are probably your best bets for these parts.

EDIT: Here's another shot of the proper PCV intake hose and connection to the air filter box. Again, not my Jeep (or my kid :)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Now, for the long answer :)

It has been shown, over and over, that cold air intakes do nothing for improving performance or power in these engines. Also, and more importantly, it is just about impossible to get an air filter that fits on those things that doesn't flat out suck (dirt, that is). See this thread for a recent example where Jerry re-posted some great air cleaner test results...look reading at post #10 for the air filter stuff.

The existing intake sucks hot air from the under the hood, not good. Banks Power makes a cold air intake that truly does get air from outside. I have found that Banks Power is a good source for 2005 and 2006 TJ/LJ performance parts as Gale Banks owns an LJ and makes the products first for his Jeep then sales it to the public. This intake kit does require you cut your hood, see attached.

IMG_3893.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

The existing intake sucks hot air from the under the hood, not good. Banks Power makes a cold air intake that truly does get air from outside. I have found that Banks Power is a good source for 2005 and 2006 TJ/LJ performance parts as Gale Banks owns an LJ and makes the products first for his Jeep then sales it to the public. This intake kit does require you cut your hood, see attached.

View attachment 89490

View attachment 89491

View attachment 89492
Complete waste of $$$ for a Wrangler IMHO.