Where does this ground wire go?

Mcnenc1

TJ Enthusiast
So I’ve been searching the Inter-webs and have found nothing. I don’t know if I’m even typing the wrote thing or not however I can’t find what this is, the purpose of it, and where it goes (obviously) so I’m hoping as my last resort you guys could help me out...

6035A0D2-D0E8-4E21-8333-9AC753F6A7A7.jpeg

91813793-08AB-4996-ACCC-D7C04A431D18.jpeg

62DE1C94-3D4B-4A1A-94D4-13A653DA4985.jpeg

981EC5EF-DC36-4B09-B03F-4984E9D22207.jpeg

On my 03 tj that ground strap is connected to the rear head stud, very back of motor drivers side of valve cover, that plastic wire harness protector thing that goes over the valve cover also sits on that same stud.
After further inspection of your pics that end of the strap does indeed go to the hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have no idea where that goes but to ask a question, why would you need to ground the body to the hood and if you did won't the hinges do that? When I first saw it I thought it would connect to the motor as @Wrangler69 states

As best I know, hoods are grounded mostly to keep interference out of the radio...just like the rest of the sheetmetal and most other metal bits and pieces that you'll find laying around a vehicle. Hinges - because of how they work - are not very reliable grounding points.

I have no idea where that goes but to ask a question, why would you need to ground the body to the hood and if you did won't the hinges do that? When I first saw it I thought it would connect to the motor as @Wrangler69 states

Technically is does that wire connects to the hood then connects to the firewall then goes down and connects to the rear stud on the motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was a safety strap for when the lame ass hood hold downs break after a passing big rig blows your hood clean off.

Reactions: Blondie70
damn .. I had this thing just tied up on my firewall, glad I find this post, then it goes to the hood if I got it right, ground from hood to firewall ?? .. :/

damn .. I had this thing just tied up on my firewall, glad I find this post, then it goes to the hood if I got it right, ground from hood to firewall ?? .. :/
From hood to bolt at drivers side top rear of head.

I recently had some work done on the engine of my Jeep and I noticed that this ground wire was not reconnected to the engine. Can someone post a picture of where it attaches to the engine? Is it the bolt coming out of the block on the driver's side between the firewall and the fuel rail? My Jeep is a '05.